sroc112

Help with First Hunting Trip

Would really like to plan my first hunting trip for this fall, but my challenge is lack of family/friends that would partake. Ideally I'd like to do a guided trip for my first time out. I'm not opposed to some trial and error in learning the ropes of tracking and navigating on my own, but the guided idea would be ideal because I'll certainly need to learn the ropes on what to do if/when I get my first kill (transport, packing, field dress, etc) I'm clueless so need to make sure I have help.

I'd like to plan a turkey and a deer trip (separate trips) and don't want to do it NJ. Open to upstate NY, PA, NH, VT or anywhere within say 8 hours of where I am in NJ.

I understand there is alot to learn and know before I get out, but hoping maybe some members here may be able to share some experience or suggestions on any luck with guided hunts or resources they may have with private land, locals, etc.

My hunting experience only spans 3 years, but  have been lucky that I have family in up state NY with hunting land, in those 3 years I have gotten a deer 2 out of three trips. We sit in blinds and most of the time it is a long boring day. The deer move at certain times, dawn and dusk, most of the day you are looking for movement that may or may not be a deer.

I did a lot of reading before my first hunt, there are many ways to hunt, most are tailored to the type of animal you are after, next know what type of land you are hunting on, wide open space will allow you to go with a long range rifle/cartridge, wooded land would benefit more from a lever rifle where your shot is no more than 150 yards.

A good backpack is a must, water proof clothing is a must, water resistant clothing is great if it’s sunny, if it rains it will absorb the water eventually and it gets heavy. Range finder, good knife are a must, there are many things to bring, just start reading and I’m also sure more here will chime in with much better information than I can give with my limited knowledge. I can say the backpack gets heavy if you pack a bunch of unnecessary items.

pick up some straps to attach to the deer when you drag it out of the woods, they help tremendously, first deer no straps and man it’s a struggle. When you gut the deer be sure not to nick the stomach, whooha what an odor, bring nitril gloves.

Like I said, I am lucky, my cousin is grizzly Adam’s, the type of guy that hunts everything anywhere and is a great patient teacher when it comes to hunting.

Best thing is to read and ask questions.

My first deer I got, it took 30 minutes for my heart to stop pounding from the rush of adrenaline. 

That's for the message. I've been reading a lot, and building my check list of necessities to have for when I finally get out. My main challenge in trying to prepare, is figure out a place to go and how to have a resource out there with me so I don't waste my time or an animals life. That was primarily the hopes with this post, to get some recommendations on where or a place to start in trying to find out where to go.

I don't know if this is helpful at all, but if you didn't see this - NJDEP Fish & Wildlife is offering Turkey hunting seminars on March 23... if you're really new to hunting, who knows?... It might be a good place to at least ask some of your questions:

NJDEP Fish & Wildlife - March 23 Talkin' Turkey Seminars - Registration Required! - Hunting, Fishing & More - New Jersey Gun Forums (njgunforums.com)

34 minutes ago, Redeye65 said:

Do a search for, guided deer hunts in the state you like. A bunch pop up. Not cheap.  
wish I could be of more help.  

I did... Again, was posting here to see if anyone had any experience with any. Thanks.