Sign in to follow this  
dwvcfii

How to catch ejected cases for reloading?

Forgive me...I'm not new to guns, but I've only recently considered learning how to reload...simply for the educational value in it.

I know I could just buy brass in bulk but I'd like to capture my own brass. Problem is, many ejected casings bounce off the wall at the range and inevitably wind up forward of the firing line and therefore out of reach. I remember years ago seeing a guy at the range with a little netted trap that he attached to his wrist that would catch the ejected cases. I tried to search for that on google and here but really didn't know what to call it so I didn't find anything. So, a couple questions:

What do they call those traps? Can you point me to one that works well?

What percentage of the brass used in your reloading efforts comes from your own spent cartridges vs. purchased in bulk? Does it make sense to capture brass or just let the range make a bit of money on it?

Thanks for any help.

The brass catchers that attach to your rifle can sometimes cause problems. I was talking about it at the MCR&PC with a few old timers a week ago, and many of them had seen empty cases bounce back into the receiver and cause a jam. If the net or deflector isn't aimed right sometimes the cases get shot back at the rifle.

There are deflectors you can get, but if not aimed/designed right can dent the cases pretty badly.

Some rifles seem to place all their empties forwards (my M1 does this for 7 of 8 shots every time, with the final one going to my right rear), some very random (my DPMS 308), and some place them in a very nice pile, 8' to the side (my Colt).

I think it's going to be hard to do anything useful in an indoor range, other than the above suggestion of stopping every few shots to pick up the brass you can find.

Just don't use your Lapua, Hornady or Nosler brass at the indoor range!

I use very nice brass for shooting off the bench, and then switch to Rem, Win or PMC brass when retrieval is in doubt.

Weekend before last we shot bench and offhand from 100yards, then prone from 100 yards, then offhand from 50 yards. I was in position #6, and all my brass at offhand went straight into the woods. 0 rounds retrieved from 10 shot. I was really glad I wasn't using my best brass.

BTW, I read another post about brass catchers on another forum, and super hot brass melting and sticking into the nylon nets is a frequent problem, too.

Here is what Midway is selling. Everything from 7 to 70 dollars. Brass Catchers are also problematic as they tend to get heavy and throw your aim off. With my AR outiside, if I can I put down a small tarp and they very nicely fall into a 3 foot wide pile about 7 feet over my shoulder

http://midwayusa.com/Search/#brass%20ca ... -4_8-16-32