AtlanticCounty

Average Wait For FIC Card?

I called my town again for the 4th time (yesterday was week 6).

Woman said Sgt ho handles was on road, just waiting for him to do the phone calls.

Apprently, they send letters, then confirm the letters with phone calls.

Sgt actually called me today and said he left messages with both of my refs and once they got back to him, he would put it thru.

I spoke to both and they both spoke with him already, SO I am going to call tomorrow to see when I can come pick up my address changed FPID and 4 PP's ;)

Then I can go pick up my M&P that should be waiting for me at the FFL ;)

Getting that jerked around feeling again.

now my 5th phone call in past 4 weeks, everything was supposed to be in order, sgt called my references to confirm they were in fact, my references.

call and the woman says today, oh yes, I was going thru your stuff and noticed your old Town never got the info back to us, so I had to make a 2nd request.

I said I called 3 weeks agao and you told me all you were waiting for is the Sgt to call my refs. Now this?

She said, yeah, I overlooked it.

I am f*ckin pissed!

Some just haven't seen the writing on the wall:

In a chilling new report The Pew Center for the States says there are Nine States besides California which are in deep financial crisis.

New Jersey

Budgets and staffs are going to be cut. The few actually doing the administrative tasks are going to be even fewer. If you think there is a office full of staff preforming the background checks, you would be way off. One staff member taking a vacation day slows things down. The fees you pay now will seem like a bargain and many states charge well over a hundred for a license that requires renewal every five years or so.

The state or strapped municipal governments isn't going to move manpower into these administrative tasks when most department's manpower has dropped a significant number in the past few years. It's not a rosy picture but that's what I foresee in the near term.

In a chilling new report The Pew Center for the States says there are Nine States besides California which are in deep financial crisis.

New Jersey

Budgets and staffs are going to be cut. The few actually doing the administrative tasks are going to be even fewer. If you think there is a office full of staff preforming the background checks, you would be way off. One staff member taking a vacation day slows things down. The fees you pay now will seem like a bargain and many states charge well over a hundred for a license that requires renewal every five years or so.

The state or strapped municipal governments isn't going to move manpower into these administrative tasks when most department's manpower has dropped a significant number in the past few years. It's not a rosy picture but that's what I foresee in the near term.

Guess I'm just an optimist dreamer.. but wouldn't just pretending to be like the other 40 ish states where you just need a driver's license and a NIC's check to purchase a firearm end all that mess? The administrative staff could actually work on important stuff.. and the LEO's stuck in the office could actually get out and fight crime?..

• Like 1

New Jersey

Guess I'm just an optimist dreamer.. but wouldn't just pretending to be like the other 40 ish states where you just need a driver's license and a NIC's check to purchase a firearm end all that mess? The administrative staff could actually work on important stuff.. and the LEO's stuck in the office could actually get out and fight crime?..

Why would you want that? :whistle:

Plainfield. I am just hoping it is not going to take as long for a permit extension or additional permits. It is just sad that I need to get a lawyer involved because Plainfield Police Department is blowing me off.

Hi folks, its my first post here! Ive just been anxious waiting for my FID and PP to come through. Very excited to buy my first gun! I submitted the paperwork on sept 24th in Montclair. When i submitted it they told me it would be about a month and a half. Since tomorrow is 8 weeks exactly i decided to give them a call today. The lady i talked to said it usually takes 7-8 weeks, and had me leave a voicemail for the detective. He seemed pretty nice when i did the paperwork and fingerprinting, but he hasent gotten back to me yet. I cant wait!

I just got my initial FID, and purchase permit today, exactly 7 weeks. AND they lost one of my reference letters & had to have it re-submitted. Not bad compared to some places.

It seems like the lost of reference letters is a regular occurrence. Same thing happened to me.

lost of reference letters is a regular occurrence

The problem I found was that the references many times simply address the letter to the XYZ Police Department. While the normal person may get a few letter a day, my town picked up several boxes a day. So much that it was delivered but picked up by staff. Unless someone is specified or at least the department, it could go anywhere. In some cases, the applicant simply addressed it to the town.

I really refered to get inportant requests via a fax. At least I knew it would come right to my office fax machine. In many cases, I'd enclose a properly addressed envelope with some requests or documents. It was mandatory to the lawyers I dealt with as they always screwed it up. (Not picking on laywers. Some of my best friends are lawyers).

would not accept the fax they sent

Years ago case law had determined that a FAX was a legal document. While some areas do require the original (FFL for one), the reference letter could easily be accepted via fax. But it's up to the agency to decide. To me, the lest paperwork, the better.

would not accept the fax they sent

Years ago case law had determined that a FAX was a legal document. While some areas do require the original (FFL for one), the reference letter could easily be accepted via fax. But it's up to the agency to decide. To me, the lest paperwork, the better.

My local PD had to call my references to make sure they were the ones who actually filled out the reference form that they mailed back.

That's great, Chris. I called today and my 2nd ref finally got back, and they are on the Chief's desk. So maybe before the end of the year. I wont be able to buy anything till early next year anyways. 1st is a Buckmark, then will look for a gently used 686 or similar, no rush, will extend permit if needs be. You figure out whats on your list? IIRC, you were looking at 1911s and M&Ps?

That's great, Chris. I called today and my 2nd ref finally got back, and they are on the Chief's desk. So maybe before the end of the year. I wont be able to buy anything till early next year anyways. 1st is a Buckmark, then will look for a gently used 686 or similar, no rush, will extend permit if needs be. You figure out whats on your list? IIRC, you were looking at 1911s and M&Ps?

Just remember, 1 gun a month kicks in Jan 1st.

Matty,

I picked the 1911 on Tuesday night. Kimber Crimson Carry. Shoots great! I actually purchased it LOOOONG ago and had to wait. A Buckmark is on my list also. May be getting that tomorrow. Trying to beat OGAM. The only silver lining of the long wait is that i got to save more money. The third item on the wish list is a 9mm but I am stuck on the decision.

If your permits are 'onthe Chief's desk' you might get them pretty soon. Mine were 'with the lieutenant' for weeks. Good luck!

how hard can it be to do a background check

Do you really think that a background check for a application will be right at the top of their priority? As manpower shrinks and budgets don't allow replacements it will get worse.