rauchman

AR Triggers.... which one?

Greetings,

Just picked up a lower that I'd like to make into an SPR'ish rifle. Deciding on which trigger setup to use. I'm looking at the Rock River NM trigger for $130 or so. Any opinions?.... other triggers that I should be looking at?

Also want to replace the triggers in my 3 other AR's. 2 of the 3 are general use carbines that and the other is an Armalite AR10, again, I'd like to replace their triggers w/ the RR NM. Thoughts???

I really depends on the use you intend. The RRA are great for tactical uses. You wouldn't want something so light it became a safety issue during a Three gun Tactical match. The RRA might not be the best for a ultra precise varmint rifle.

RRA are almost a drop in. At most minor fitting may be required.

I really depends on the use you intend. The RRA are great for tactical uses. You wouldn't want something so light it became a safety issue during a Three gun Tactical match. The RRA might not be the best for a ultra precise varmint rifle.

RRA are almost a drop in. At most minor fitting may be required.

RRA 2 stage are really nice. Ypui can get them for $99.00 shipped from Legal Transfers in RI.

If you want to spend a bit more go with the Geissele SSA Trigger

2 Stage Combat Trigger

ADCO sells them for $170.00

RRA 2 stage are really nice. Ypui can get them for $99.00 shipped from Legal Transfers in RI.

If you want to spend a bit more go with the Geissele SSA Trigger

2 Stage Combat Trigger

ADCO sells them for $170.00

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of the RR trigger for the more "tacticool" rifles and a Geissele for the SPR'ish rifle I'm building. Overall, I've read good to great things about the RR trigger. Light and smooth enough to make a noticable difference over stock, but not too light as to possibly be a problem. The Geissele I'm not as familiar with, but have noticed they seem to be gaining in popularity. I understand there is a Tactical version and a Match version. I'm guessing this means that the Tact is lighter than stock, and the Match is lighter yet. Any info on what these weights would be? I've read that w/ adjustable triggers, there is the chance they may unadjust themselves after much use. Any info on how the Geissele trigger is this regard?

Edited to add, how does the RR trigger differ from the Geissele Tactial trig?

the nicest trigger i've used (in an AR style rifle) is the single stage IRA unit that came in the lower i picked up from them recently.

http://www.ironridgeguns.com/products/iratrigger01/

there's no creep and it breaks like glass.

as for 2-stage, i like the RRA NM and the LMT 2-stage that came in the defender lower i have from them.

the WORST i've had in any of my AR rifles was via a DPMS parts kit. it was the equivalent of marshmallow.

My BM trigger is grainy. I've kind of gotten used to its crunchy creep and know where it's going to break, which took a long time. I'd like to upgrade. The author of the arfcom thread really favors the Geissele.

The RRA is a nice feeling trigger, with a good price, but I have had one fail on me.

On the other hand I am a big Geissele fan. SSAs in most rifles, and DMRs in my more accurate rifles. I have recently been seliing my RRAs and replacing them with Geissele SSAs.

Edited to add: If price is your prime criteria get the RRA, if reliability is more important get the Geissele SSA.

I have a DPMS lower parts kit in the AR i'm building. I wanted to build a reasonable paper target punching type rifle with accurate and good quality components and still stay under a certain budget. For the trigger, the out of the box DPMS trigger was 7-8 lbs and gritty and creepy. I sent it to Bill Springfield for his "3lb Service" which entails him massaging the hammer and sear, cutting the tail off the hammer ("speed hammer"), adding an over travel stop (welded on bead), JP competition springs and re-finishing the metal. I measured the new parts with my digital trigger gauge and it came in at 3lb, 6oz and is crisp and creep free. All this cost $50 and you supply him the stock trigger. He has a 4lb service for $35 but i thought the extra $15 got you a lot more "while you are at it" so to speak. I'm happy with the trigger as i think i got a lot for my money without getting into the hi-dollar match components where the law of diminishing returns sets in and you pay a lot more for a small increment in performance. Of course, if you are building a true match rifle, absolutely no expense should be spared but i feel the work Bill provides is quite good for the money.

http://www.triggerwork.net/ar15s.html

Joel, are any of the guns you're bring to the MDTS class equipped with a Geissele trigger? I'd like to try one out to see what they're like

Yes I will have one, and you are welcome to shoot part of the class with it and see what you think (anyone who takes the 11/7 class is welcome to try my Geissele SSA).

I have a DPMS lower parts kit in the AR i'm building. I wanted to build a reasonable paper target punching type rifle with accurate and good quality components and still stay under a certain budget. For the trigger, the out of the box DPMS trigger was 7-8 lbs and gritty and creepy. I sent it to Bill Springfield for his "3lb Service" which entails him massaging the hammer and sear, cutting the tail off the hammer ("speed hammer"), adding an over travel stop (welded on bead), JP competition springs and re-finishing the metal. I measured the new parts with my digital trigger gauge and it came in at 3lb, 6oz and is crisp and creep free. All this cost $50 and you supply him the stock trigger. He has a 4lb service for $35 but i thought the extra $15 got you a lot more "while you are at it" so to speak. I'm happy with the trigger as i think i got a lot for my money without getting into the hi-dollar match components where the law of diminishing returns sets in and you pay a lot more for a small increment in performance. Of course, if you are building a true match rifle, absolutely no expense should be spared but i feel the work Bill provides is quite good for the money.

Myself and everyone on HKPro.com swear by Bill Springfield. His work is top notch. This is coming from a group of guys that spend $1,000 per handgun. Triggerwork.net is top notch.

Myself and everyone on HKPro.com swear by Bill Springfield. His work is top notch. This is coming from a group of guys that spend $1,000 per handgun. Triggerwork.net is top notch.

I can really appreciate the sheer simplicity of tuned factory components and Bills work is a fine example. The options that he provides fills a certain slot between standard field triggers with thier unrefined feel and the high end stuff costing upwards of several hundred dollars. The beauty of hand tuned oem components is they retain the factory mechanisms known to work and give a reliable yet slick action. I actually sent him two triggers to modify, yet i only have one AR at the moment. :lol:

Thanks, I'll be looking into this.