jermz1987

I only applied for one permit (question)

My question is, after I get my permit and I buy my gun and I want to get another one, what kind of process would I have to go through and how long would it take? this has probably been answered somewhere but I couldn't find it. thanks in advanced.

if you are planning on buying more than one handgun in a 90 day time period, I would knock 2 permits out in one shot. I dont think you have to pay for the fingerprints and an additional background check if you do 2 at one time.

to be honest I didnt even relize I did it. I reimember it asking me how many permits I want and just putting one. I really dont plan on buying 2 guns within 90 days. Im sure once I get my first gun Ill wait the 90 days and go and apply for another one.

so at the end of 90 days I can extend my permit and use it to purchase another pistol even if Ive already used it to buy a gun?

No. It's one permit per gun. The permits are a 4-ply carbon copy. When you use it to buy a gun, you keep one copy, the seller keeps a copy, the seller has to send one copy to the state police, and he has to send one copy to the local police who issued your permit.

If you have an unused permit, ie: if you had applied for more than one.. then you could've brought it back towards the end of the first 90 days and they should extend it for an additional 90 days.

Oh OK I see. So when I apply for another permit will I have to pay for another background check and finger prints? Well if so hopefully it shouldn't be as long a wait.

Depends on your departments policy. Some do, some don't.