EchoMirage

best place/price for new upper

with all the different manufacturers and options, this gets more confusing then buying performance car parts. im looking to change around my bushmaster. id like a 16in, light weight chromed barrel, flattop.

as far as the twist ratio.....whats best or ideal? i dont target shoot, just fun/plink/zombie killing. what is the best price around? are any offered with the AK compensator? i have that on my bushmaster now, and its said its the best comp. around. its not a deal breaker though, as ive only seen it offered with an HBAR. mine is also an HBAR, and id like to lose some weight with a light barrel.

Armlight complete upper: $507.59 shipped.

http://dsgarms.com/index.cfm/product/63 ... ceiver.cfm

I just bought this yesterday, Armlites are shooters.

they shipped the same day, Del-Ton has good prices and post ban config's but they have a 12 to 14 week delay on all completed uppers and rifles. DPMS has some really nice build options but they get into the high range. I have everything I need except for flip up back up sites and spend a bit over 800.00 with shipping and transfers on the lower.

Uppers are available at decent pricing. Doesn't matter what, for the most part you put on the Bushmaster. they don't make the parts themselves so you aren't changing much of anything.

Try contacting Pete at http://www.ar15sales.com. If you email, he may take a while to get back to you. Give him a call and tell him what you want. As he deals with a lot of MA residents, he should have a NJ approved upper as they are basically the same.

They aren't mil spec as they have barrels with a 1 x 8 twist. The only thing I see on their site that has the military 1 x 7 twist is the Noveske and LMT. Looks like they are buying the parts and putting together uppers like most do today.

I also don't see anything that looks NJ compliant.

You can have the upper shipped to yourself in any configuration, just have to remove the bayonet lug and the flash suppressor and replace with a compensator, much easier VS buying a post ban upper pre-made and cheaper to. Easiest

way to get around it is order one with a weaver gas block and ditch the A2 FS and just run flip up back up sights.

Noveske is top of the line stuff prices are usually very high, I agree not worth buying non mil-spec uppers and receivers, mil-spec parts are to abundant and cheap to pass them up. However all the receivers on that site are Milspec the barrel twist really is not going to effect the integrity of the receiver or the upper.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-16 ... -s/132.htm

All their 16" complete uppers are with a 1/7 twist.

The barrel twist will only affect the use of the 77 grain loads. Unless one hand loads them they won't find them surplus and the factory loaded is pricey. I use them only for match work. You correct that the barrel twist doesn't affect upper receiver reliability. But the term "mil spec" is thrown around and in reality means little.

Few vendors actually produce anything. they are put together and sold from outside manufacturers parts. The gas block is the way to go in NJ. It a pain in the butt, removing, replacing, pinning and soldering a compliant muzzle break. Just easier to get one front the start.

They aren't mil spec as they have barrels with a 1 x 8 twist. The only thing I see on their site that has the military 1 x 7 twist is the Noveske and LMT. Looks like they are buying the parts and putting together uppers like most do today.

Almost all of their barrels are 1/7 twist... You are right none are in NJ compliant configuration, but you have it shipped directly to a place like adco and they can do their magic.

I'd go with the 1 x 7 if available. Not great for light bullets but much better for military loads. When ordered directly from the manufacturer through a dealer, NJ compliant is easily available. NJ isn't the only state with those restrictions so manufacturers are geared up to make the changes. Especially since the business fell off so much.

My Bushmaster M upper is NJ compliant and also fits the regulations for MA. I'm swapping it out and will have no problem selling it to a MA resident.

Just depends how much you want to spend. Costs starts to add up when you pay shipping and the costs to make the mods. I've debated swapping uppers vs. just buying a new rifle. Let's face it. lowers don't add that much to the cost of the overall package.

Here is some good info for barrel twist and ammo loads I use a 1/9 twist but shoot surplus from 55gr to 62ge which is the most common I see sold online.

The rate of twist for any given barrel is specific to the projectile diameter, length and velocity. For a 55gr 5.56 NATO round (M193), the proper twist is somewhere around 1/10 to 1/12. The original M16A1 came in a 1/12 twist. However, for the heavier 62gr M855 round, 1/12 does not work. The M16A2 went from 1/12 to 1/7 twist, allowing for this round. Truth be told, the 62gr penetrator (SS109) is actually the length of a 69gr bullet, but weighs less because it has a steel core instead of a lead core. This round will tumble wildly in a 1/12 twist barrel. Testing showed this fast twist rate will show premature throat erosion, so commercial barrel makers decided to make their barrels 1/9 twist since they did not need to adhere to the strict military requirement of 1/7. This worked, and the throat erosion seemed to be mitigated. However, with the newest advances in bullet design pushing the envelope to 75gr and 77gr projectiles, 1/9 is not quite getting the job done reliably. Due to tolerances for rifling a barrel, some barrels marked 1/9 can shoot the heavies with no ill effects, but others marked 1/9 throw them down range tumbling wildly. This is not good. A tumbling bullet is not a consistent bullet, and consistency is what produces both accuracy and controlled expansion. So if you want to load your rifle with the most advanced anti-personnel loadings you can, you will want a 1/7 marked barrel. If your duty load is only 55gr or 62gr at most, then 1/9 is probably alright. 1/12 is unsat. You will be stuck with 52-55gr.

While this is not an ammo post, but a rifle post, I will keep it short. A good rule of thumb for the AR-15 is to get the heaviest bullet it will reliably stabilize, as it will penetrate deep enough to reliably hit vital organs, which is your actual target in a gunfight. Ballistic tips do NOT reliably penetrate deep enough to hit these targets when conditions are "imperfect." Stick with BTHP (OTM) ammo, and get the heavies. Our duty load is the Winchester Ranger 69gr BTHP (which works well in 1/9 twist barrels), but my personal choice is 75gr OTM (which I carry in my 1/7 twist LWRC and CMMG.)

BCM Bravo Company. They are top quality, mill spec, MPI tested.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/

Ordered mine on Tuesday!

Well which one did you get?

My Armlite comes in today, and I got my lower yesterday.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-M ... 0ddl12.htm

It's on its way to get a muzzle brake perm installed. Will hopefully have it in my hands in the next week or two

The 1 x 9 will not stabilize the 75 grain loads much past fifty yards.

A 1 x 12 twist M16 barrel is a collector's item. Some actually seek them out for the authentic rebuilds. I use a 77 grain load which will not stabilize well in a 1 x 9. It will work well in 1 x 8 out to 600 yards.

The military M262 77 grain loads aren't readily available to the public except in the civilian Black hill brand which is the actual manufacturer. The 75 grain loads are the way to go. the 62 grain M855 loads su*k. fine for plinking but the penetrator core was designed to body armor and produces little shock. But govt. manufacturing isn't geared to produce mass quantities of the M262 loads which have proven to be much better in the field.

This FBI study gives some chilling descriptions of what can happen to a determined actor.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/documents/officer.pdf

It shows that there is no perfect caliber or load.