matt6669

Any Garand Guru's on here

The low SN would be of interest to some $795 is a bit high but that sn will probably bump it up a bit.

Don't trust the "bullet in the bore" measurement. It is totally unreliable. The only way to check is with a good set of throat erosion and muzzle wear tools. Hard to tell but the stock look almost too good. Could it be a Boyd's replacement?

In any case, if it's what you want, go for it. Just be aware that all of the decently priced CMP ammo is gone. You can buy it from many retail shops but not at the CMP price.

an unissued Garand

Rebuilt, maybe. Even a rebuilt and stored for three grand is high unless it's something extremely rare.

Unissued? Not a chance. Their are probably a few left in the word. a few are on display at the Springfield Armory museum. A true unissued M-1 Garand would go for five to six figures.

The market uis about to once again get flooded with Garands and Carbines coming back from Korea in a year or some.

Actually CMP just found a bunch of unissued rifles a couple weeks ago that apparently will be sold outright, not auctioned. (We'll see).

Looks like a very decent rifle to me, too, and the low S/N is cool, but CMP has some pretty nice ones right now and a bunch of extremely nice ones coming out around Jan for less money.

Matt, any reason you don't consider CMP?

I ordered CMP ammo & a rebarreled & restocked M1 from them on 8 Sept, I have the ammo and the rifle will be shipping any day now :o I was expecting, as they STILL say on the website that it would be 120+ days for ammo and 180 days for the rifle, so that would have put me into next year, easily. So I dunno if they are clearing space for these things coming back from Korea or wherever, or they have a bunch of cancelled orders or what. I will post pix and whatnot when I get it & see if its worth the price. And then will off to CJRPC to break it in. Since I don't reload, I will trade brass for guru advice ;) Certainly was in line at the time with some of the nicer ones on GB and at the local shops, and for sale ads at CJRPC, with the attraction & differentiator for me being the new barrel & refinshed bits, and the anecdotal positive feedback for CMP support. YMMV, but certainly consider it, it was a bit of paperwork, being a (former) gov operation, but for a close to completely rebuilt rifle shipped to my house, was worth the time. Since they are shipping much quicker than anticipated and there is supposedly a bunch more stuff coming into them, may be worth waiting as well---

rscalzo, what about ammo, the rumor mill have any idea about if/when CMP 30-06 might be replenished?

In short, it seems that the cmp has exhausted the majority of its supply of HXP. They will fill all orders that were in house earlier this month before the cut off. However, per Orest, they are working in a number of ways to secure more 3006.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there is a little hope!

With that said there is a ammo rumor going around that the CMP has or is in the process of acquiring 70 million more rounds of Greek ammo.

No one knows for sure at this time and Orest Michaels won't confirm or deny the rumor at this time.

I guess time will tell.

That's why I was gonna get the adjustable gas plug, and have it around for when I will need it. The commercial 30-06 I see online (prvi partisan) averages about $12/ 20 now, vs. $22 for the Federal M2 ball formulated stuff, so thats a big enough diff to have it pay for itself quickly, unless I take up reloading :lol:

Since I am getting the new toy early, I didn't have the time to break the news to SWMBO, gently over the next few months, so its cost me a new washer/dryer. An expensive M1, no matter how its sliced :|

HXP is showing up at area gun shows for prices higher than the CMP had priced it. While reloading is fine, the HXP was a great source of brass.

If the CMP actually found any unissued rifles (highly doubtful), they will be put on the auction site. there is no way they will be sold outright unless they price them at a five figure number. they have auctioned anything of significant interest. Case in point the recent M1A1 Carbines. They aren't all that valuable yet were sold outright.

Unless they get ammo with the Korean imports coming back the 06 cheap ammo days are gone.

HXP is showing up at area gun shows for prices higher than the CMP had priced it. While reloading is fine, the HXP was a great source of brass.

If the CMP actually found any unissued rifles (highly doubtful), they will be put on the auction site. there is no way they will be sold outright unless they price them at a five figure number. they have auctioned anything of significant interest. Case in point the recent M1A1 Carbines. They aren't all that valuable yet were sold outright.

Unless they get ammo with the Korean imports coming back the 06 cheap ammo days are gone.

They found plenty. Read here http://www.odcmp.org/new_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=77927

farmer--

Yes it's a Special. I am very curious to see the barrel and try & find out where it came from. I suppose I can check the CMP forum (thanks, Mauser!) and ask the specific question, if I cant find it in the archives. From my experience with the vintage motorcycle world, parts that are manufacture by 3rd parties (because the originals are no longer available in any form) can be very hit and miss in quality & price/value. Examples are the Norman Hyde parts stuff vice cheap Taiwanese knockoff parts for old British bikes. Sometimes the cheap stuff IS better, but rarely can go wrong with Hyde, but it always cost more. Sometimes for the same thing made at the same plant---

yeah, I figure I get something out of the washer as well, clean clothes, and I don't have to fix this one, for awhile at least. :lol:

OK, I see that they have Criterion barrels for sale also in the parts store for CMP, that makes sense. Likely the same one, Midway has for $229, just as a one off comparison. I looked thru all that stuff over the summer and quickly forgot it all, not expecting to see the thing till March. Will post pix when it makes it in--

barrels they use are Criterion

One of my rebuild uses that barrel. you have to be very careful with Garand barrels if you intend on using it at a serious CMP match. The slightest deviation can cause a disqualification.

They have offered those barrels for years with no problem. I have one currently being rebuilt using that barrel but from a different source.

I probably won't do any serious CMP matches anytime soon, stick with the less formal JC Garand matches at CJRPC and maybe elsewhere, till I get good. And have time :roll: Some of the people at the one I went to are serious competitors, and were quite geared up. Some of them were regulars at camp perry also.

IMHO the John C Garand matches are a great cheap ($20 at CJRPC, all you need bring is yourself & eye/ear protection. Weapons, ammo, shooting jackets, mats, targets and spotting scopes provided by club included, or bring your own of course) way to try out an M1. I think CJ is done for this year with them, but will have more scheduled next year. Highly recommend, you don't need it to qualify for CMP purchase, your DD214 will suffice to show participation in a shooting activity. There will be lots of Garand gurus there to help the newbs :mrgreen:

Am not waiitng anymore, I received the rifle Thu, so will be heading over to CJRPC either HP or GP range, when I can get there during daylight hrs, not this weekend. :cry: I am in Jackson, farmer. Am also member of Ft. Dix, so I could go there as well. I need to pick up some rifle targets and borrow a spotting scope so I can sight it in. Will post pix when I can, maybe later tonite or tomorrow. Did a quick wipe with oil on patch and used TW25 on the grease points, sparingly, there was little lube on it at all, some on the follower, thats about it. Came with a canvas sling, I just missed the leather sling cutoff. Ah well, I already ordered the repro buttstock cleaning kit from Brownells ( I used the NJGF clik-thru, maks)

I would not use the repro rod. Get on from Dewey's or similar. Also pick up a Garand muzzle guide. The segmented rods produce more wear on the barrel.

Another item you might want is a ruptured case tool.

Brownell's or Midway should have them all in stock.

I reload for mine using a 147gr. FMJ bullet and H335 powder

A friend has just started using this in his loads. The normal 47 grains behind a 150 grain bullet is the normal starting point. As this guy has over 40 Garands and 24 03's, I take his advice.

http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=278|283|313

It's a good deal when you get a group order together.

The "special" cond units from CMP cost $995, which is what you can get one for from Tony Giacobbe in Rahway (they're $1100, but he always offers a $100 rebate, this month because of his birthday). You can look over a whole bunch and pick the one you want. All rebuilt using his GI components, etc.

I'd certainly look over his rifles before waiting 2-6 months for the CMP...

Double wow, Matty! :dance:

That's a beaut for sure. Imagine it's gonna shoot pretty well too.

+1 on a Dewey rod, but I'd be careful of any other brand. (But I also keep a GI kit in the buttstock - I like the authenticity of it). I just started using a Dewey a couple months ago, (along with an Otis cable at the range) but prior to that I've used two other brands that were graphite and both of the tips came off and I couldn't find any good way to keep them on. (The rods are designed to be pushed, but in the Garand you're pulling from the muzzle end). The Dewey was only about $6 more and well worth the extra I think.

Let us know how it goes at the range.