Sign in to follow this  
SpecOps2087

Shore Shot Basic Firearms Safety Course

do they give you a certificate? typically, they would want an NRA certified course.

Yes I have a NRA certificate saying I completed the course

That's all you should need.

I took the NRA basic pistol and they said the card and cert is good for CCW in just about every CCW state.

....and I'd look into going on a dedicated course for FL ccw. Gunforhire and others run them regularly. It can be a pita getting prints and so on otherwise. Regarding the NRA courses, most ccw states accept even the "First steps" certificate (CT needs the full 10 hr "BAsic Pistol"). However, the NRA also offers a "firearms safety in the home" course. I'd be surprise if FL took this because there isn't any live fire requirement to pass it (I think). Finally, it's likely worth thinking about where you might use this permit and what the quirks burps and gurgles of that state (eg PA) are. Thing to pay attention to are carrying in a car, bars and restaurants, and govt buildings, schools etc

Best

G

....and I'd look into going on a dedicated course for FL ccw. Gunforhire and others run them regularly. It can be a pita getting prints and so on otherwise. Regarding the NRA courses, most ccw states accept even the "First steps" certificate (CT needs the full 10 hr "BAsic Pistol"). However, the NRA also offers a "firearms safety in the home" course. I'd be surprise if FL took this because there isn't any live fire requirement to pass it (I think). Finally, it's likely worth thinking about where you might use this permit and what the quirks burps and gurgles of that state (eg PA) are. Thing to pay attention to are carrying in a car, bars and restaurants, and govt buildings, schools etc

Best

G

Not to beat a dead horse but Florida CCW training requirements are satisfied by the NJ Hunter's Safety training. It's free. It takes 3-4 hours and it's all good information.

EDIT: I just realized that they only offer the course March through November.