Lublin

AR stock question

Is a stock whose length is only adjustable by removing a screw with a wrench still considered a "collapsible stock" and a no-no? It is in no way adjustable "on the fly" and without a tool.

So it's only permanently pinned if you're not carrying a wrench. Not exactly what I would call permanent.

I made the mistake of visiting a store in PA over the weekend and seeing some fun stuff.

I have to move the f*ck out of this bullsh*t state.

Like an armed robber is going to commit a robbery with a bulky rifle, then while he's fleeing, take his wrench out and collapse his stock a few inches.

I made the mistake of visiting a store in PA over the weekend and seeing some fun stuff.

Like an armed robber is going to commit a robbery with a bulky rifle, then while he's fleeing, take his wrench out and collapse his stock a few inches.

Well, since recoil on an AR is practically nothing anyway...a real robber would just remove the stock and use the pistol grip and forearm.

Well, since recoil on an AR is practically nothing anyway...a real robber would just remove the stock and use the pistol grip and forearm.

And the bolt carrier group would shoot out of the back of the upper!

I know what you mean, though. :lol:

so what could you do to permantly pin the stock? I guess a simple nut and bolt with loctite would not suffice. That was what i was going to do.

A roll pin that's shorter than the hole and then epoxy on either side after its installed. That's as permanent and it needs to be.

A roll pin that's shorter than the hole and then epoxy on either side after its installed. That's as permanent and it needs to be.

Is there any kind of documentation about this, or are we just assuming that this is what is required?

I ask because my HK SL8-6 rifle has a stock which can be lengthened up to 1" by removing two large hex head bolts (and inserting filler pieces to make it look nice). The rifle was purchased at Bullet Hole, and the same rifle has been seen at most of the other legitimate dealers I've visited in NJ, all with the same hex bolts.

So, with an allen key, and a few minutes, you can change the length of the stock 1".

I think this rifle is legal, but who knows?

-Melg

I wonder how the Magpul PRS stocked is viewed by the powers that be in NJ. I believe this a thumb adjustment wheel to move the butstock 1" fore and aft.

And, yes, NJ has some seriously frustrating laws. I visit my family in AZ at least once a year and going into a gunshop out there is like walking into Toys R Us when you were a kid.

What law says that the stock must be fixed to a permanent position? It just can't telescope or fold. If it does neither, you are not in violation of any law.

So, what does that mean?

The problem is, as we all know, none of these words come with definitions. I am not sure if the HKSL8-6 stock "telescopes." It can change length, with a tool. The stock sort of "telescopes" when it collapses, if "telescope" means that one part slides into another as like the tubes of a telescope. Or maybe the two things that move in and out of the stock don't really work like a "telescope?"

Paul, how can a stock change lengths without "telescoping?"

At least we all probably roughly understand what "folding" means....

The point I was making is that the stock does not have to be made permanent. A pin or screw should suffice. IMO, telescoping = collapsible.

Is a stock whose length is only adjustable by removing a screw with a wrench still considered a "collapsible stock" and a no-no? It is in no way adjustable "on the fly" and without a tool.
  • Like 1

I was told if it can be removed then it's in violation just like blocking a 30 round mag with a block of wood.

No one really ever knows 100% except for the state police fire arms unit and who know if they will tell you the truth.

my entire gripe with the laws in this state when dealing with stocks are, A. you can own a carbine telescopic stock pinned at any length. yet if it can be adjusted, *Stern voice* "THAT'S ILLEGAL!" B. Side folding stocks do not reduce the size of rifle to any size that would be considered "concealable" due to the 16" barrel requirement. Bogus laws that do not help to reduce the crime rate.