Malsua

AR-15 Butt Stocks?

AR-15 Butt Stocks?

I searched, didn't see a discussion of them here on brands and such. I realize they're not expensive and they all look about the same. I realize the long discussions on NJ compliance. I guess I'm looking at build quality and or NJ compliance(or ease of making it so).

Thoughts?

-----------

Ok. Let me be more clear.

1. What Butt Stock(s) did you buy(or plan to)?

2. What were your top 3 reason for THAT particular brand/model? Yes, I get it, they all need one.

3. How much did you pay?

4. Would you buy it again?

Stock choice, like most things in the AR world, largely comes down to personal preference and in many cases is based more on aesthetics than actual functionality. Much more so in NJ where we lose the ability to adjust stock length.

In many cases your choice will be determined by what extra "bells and whistles" you want built into your stock. Do you want compartments for extra batteries, bolts, firing pins? Do you want a short length of pull? Do you want lightweight? Do you want a specific sling attachment point? Do you want a stock that's solid enough to butt stoke someone? :twisted:

Without knowing your specific application, wants/needs, etc. it's difficult to give "thoughts" that aren't just generalized opinions

1. What Butt Stock(s) did you buy(or plan to)?

AR 1 - Magpul MOE

AR 2 - Sully Stock

AR 3 - TBD. More than likely a MOE or CTR. I like the extra sling attachment points on the CTR vs. the MOE.

2. What were your top 3 reason for THAT particular brand/model? Yes, I get it, they all need one.

MOE - was already installed on my AR and it's a decent enough stock that I saw no reason to change it. Pinned at the second position back from the receiver. It's relatively light weight and I can get a good cheek weld on it. Feels very solid to me

Sully - wanted something with a shorter LOP and it was easier to get a fixed stock than deal with pinning a stock. LOP is the same as a standard collapsible stock at the first position. Better for "squared up" shooting position. SUPER solid. Makes the AR a little back heavy, but that's not necessarily a bad thing as it aids in swinging the rifle up "into my workspace" for reloads.

3. How much did you pay?

MOE - again, came with the AR. Paid 35 bux to have it pinned by ADCO.

Sully - $130. (comes with stock, buffer tube, buffer, & spring)

4. Would you buy it again?

Yes to both. I've been very happy with both. Both have been thru a 1 day carbine class, and while they each have a slightly different LOP, it was easy enough for me to make the minor stance adjustment to accommodate each.

For future builds I'm considering the CTR for the reasons mentioned above and the Vltor emod (honestly, I just like the way it looks). But will more than likely save a couple bux and stick with the MOE