matty

Semi Auto in .223/5.56 Suggestions?

Ok, whilst i wait for my P2Ps, I find my mind wandering toward an 'intermediate" caliber rifle.

Nothing wacky, decoded on .223/5.56 for availability & cost of ammo.

Am looking for an American made semi-auto rifle in said caliber, not an AR style, not a Mini 14. tastes run toward a carbine style, wood furniture, no pistol grip.

Does such a thing exist (new) in the sub-$1k range? I know that there's the Saiga, but prefer US made.

TIA--Matt

Why not a Ranch rifle (mini 14)? I think what you described as wanting pretty much can be summed up in a ranch rifle.

Otherwise, spend the money on an overpriced M1A from Springfield Armory... or other variants of said rifle.

Already have an M1, probably won't do an M1A anytime soon, if ever. The Mini-14 seems OK, am looking for something different than the M1/14/1A type, but last I looked, they were overpriced too, IMHO. maybe things have chilled out. No big rush, gotta wait till after the holidays, just looking for alternatives. may yet fall back to the SKS----

American semi-auto in .223 that's not a Mini-14 or an AR... I'm drawing a complete blank :lol: If you were looking for a bolt gun, then it wouldn't be too hard... but semi-auto... I dunno. There's gotta be something out there that will fit the bill, but i'll be damned if I can think of one right now. I'm curious if anyone comes up with anything

ETA: is the MSAR STG-556 made in America? Not sure.. prob not under 1k either way

American semi-auto in .223 that's not a Mini-14 or an AR... I'm drawing a complete blank :lol: If you were looking for a bolt gun, then it wouldn't be too hard... but semi-auto... I dunno. There's gotta be something out there that will fit the bill, but i'll be damned if I can think of one right now. I'm curious if anyone comes up with anything

ETA: is the MSAR STG-556 made in America? Not sure.. prob not under 1k either way

Yes, made in PA. they run around $1500.00 or more.

I've had two Ruger Mini-14's. One a ranch and one a standard rifle. I would recommend one if you want to shop groups 3" at 100yards at best. If you want something more accurate forget the Ruger. I tried handloads and various types of factory ammo. Nothing grouped better then 3" off the bench. Groups opened up more after the barrel heated up too.

The Russian AK types aren't much better if you looking for accuracy.

For what one cost's and the unavailability of mags over 5 rounds. ( Pro mags suck by the way ) I'd add a few more bucks and get an AR.

IMHO opinion it's the most customizable and accurate .223 semi-auto out there.

Matty,

The question is "What do you expect from the rifle." If you want target accuracy, the Mini will frustrate you. If you want a rifle that will digest anything and shoot minute-of-chest out to 300 yards, the Mini is the answer. Another advantage a Mini has over the AR or Saiga in it's factory configuration is that it doesn't scare the crap out of your average, and far too typical, Jersey Walking Mangina. What is it that you expect?

It would be for banging away at targets mainly 100-300 yd range, and practicing rifle technique, sighting, breathing, probably throw decent scope on it and practice that as well. And maybe do a carbine combat type seminar for fun. I am not a good shot by any stretch, I can hit the target, from 100-200 yd but tend to scatter too much. Need to work on consistency and relax more. Cost is an issue, need to be under $1K, preferably new in box, I have used guns, want new for now. And was looking for something different, most of what I have are standards that have been manufactured by the millions, and been around awhile (10/22, 1911,P226, etc..). A bolt action rifle is on my wishlist as well for the future, but have to slip it in past SWMBO, maybe next year :mrgreen: .

Anyways, thanks for the inputs, definetley food for thought, will see what things look like after Christmas.....