Sign in to follow this  
Guest Damagedworld

Spotting scopes... What do all the numbers mean?

starting to shoot my rifles a lot more so im going to keep an eye out for an inexpensive spotting scope.. but what do all the crazy numbers mean?

also what is important to know when looking at a range finder?

some info on both would be really appreciated..

thanks

The first number is times of magnification, the second number is the size of the lens in millimeters. Therefore, a 10x50 is 10x magnification with 50mm lens(es).

Same rule applies to scopes. For example, a 3-9x40 is variable magnification from 3 to 9 times with a 40 mm lens.

The first number is times of magnification, the second number is the size of the lens in millimeters. Therefore, a 10x50 is 10x magnification with 50mm lens(es).

Same rule applies to scopes. For example, a 3-9x40 is variable magnification from 3 to 9 times with a 40 mm lens.

thanks you made that really easy to understand... what magnification would be recommended for an AR chambered in 308 that is being shot 100m -500m..

what impact does the size of the lens have?

thanks again

I would get a 20-60 magnification. It is what I use and still I use the shoot n see so I can see the hole at 200.

thanks thats what i need to know..

I would get a 20-60 magnification. It is what I use and still I use the shoot n see so I can see the hole at 200.

thanks thats what i need to know..

Big magnification is great, just make sure it's got a sturdy stand.

with 20-60 how reasonable will objects at 100yrd be to shoot.. the range i attend most ONLY goes out to 100.. so having something that is usable there is pretty important to me..