Sign in to follow this  
DirtyDigz

What's the law on transporting firearm *PARTS*?

Does NJ law consider the "firearm" to be just the receiver for a rifle and the frame for a pistol?

If I want to take my pistol slide to a gunsmith for work, can I just carry it in my pocket if I leave the frame at home?

Sounds good to me! Frame is the gun. Except on Ruger pistols MK I,II,III :whistle:

frame or part w/serial # on it are the firearm as per federal + nj law - on ruger .22 auto the tube that barrel screws into is the weapon not the grip frame - on sig 250 the fire control mechanism is the weapon -

Does NJ law consider the "firearm" to be just the receiver for a rifle and the frame for a pistol?

If I want to take my pistol slide to a gunsmith for work, can I just carry it in my pocket if I leave the frame at home?

If the frame is the part with the serial number on it and you leave that at home, all you are carrying is machined parts. The "gun" is the part with the SN on it. Chill out.

If the frame is the part with the serial number on it and you leave that at home, all you are carrying is machined parts. The "gun" is the part with the SN on it. Chill out.

Just double checking, I've been wrong before.

My glock has a serial number on the frame, slide and barrel.

The frame / receiver is the only portion covered under NJ and Federal firearm's laws. There is very few exceptions to this but at the moment I can't remember but in any case it is for fairly uncommon firearms. The slide of a normal mass produced modern handgun is not going to be an issue.

My glock has a serial number on the frame, slide and barrel.

This is because in many countries the barrel is the controlled part as the frame is here. Many older guns would have the serial number or the last 3 numbers on any part big enough to put a number on.

Glock having it on all three makes it easier to avoid a mix up of parts when you have a bunch of soldiers or leos cleaning guns ttogether. You can take 3 Glocks of the same model swap around parts so you have a diffrent slide, barrel, and frame and it will work. I know.

A related question for any FFLs out there...

I had a frame and a complete pistol transfered to my FFL. I was planning on using the upper assembly from the complete pistol on my other frame. Both are in my FFL until my permits are cleared.

In your opinion, since I'm sure some FFLs make up the rules as they go along if the law is gray, would I be able to take possession of the frame AND the upper from the other gun in the same visit, or do I have to take possession of the complete package "AS IS?"

I know that I could ask them myself, but it may be the kind of thing where one guy says one thing and another says something different.

Sorry to hijack the thread, I was just curious.

Thanks!

A related question for any FFLs out there...

I had a frame and a complete pistol transfered to my FFL. I was planning on using the upper assembly from the complete pistol on my other frame. Both are in my FFL until my permits are cleared.

In your opinion, since I'm sure some FFLs make up the rules as they go along if the law is gray, would I be able to take possession of the frame AND the upper from the other gun in the same visit, or do I have to take possession of the complete package "AS IS?"

I know that I could ask them myself, but it may be the kind of thing where one guy says one thing and another says something different.

Sorry to hijack the thread, I was just curious.

Thanks!

The two frames are considered the guns (Not counting the few exceptions noted above.)

Legally, you could go get the slide today.