Guest Damagedworld

Mounting Scope DPMS in 308

Yes there are many rails and mounts that will raise or off set the optic.

This is not mine but an example of what you can do, there are several others out there.

I think your going to have to rid yourself of that fixed rear and get a flip down, it looks very cumbersome.

so i guess the rear iron sight would HAVE to go and or be replaced with a flip up.. and the front can stay.. many people say the front one will disappear in the scope.. ? i guess im trying to figure out just how high it has to be to clear that front sight?

you can probably get a higher mount but it would be pushing it. If you replaced the the forearm with a drop

in quad rail then you can get a mount on without having to remove that rear site.

thats something i want to do but not any time soon.. that brake is pinned and may turn out to be a real pain in the ass to remove without butchering..

Not sure what you mean, I think we got our info crossed.

You can just pull back on the delta ring and remove the hand guards you have on now and replace

with a 2 piece quad rail which will be the same height as the rail on the upper receiver.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4519

The height of the quad rail is the same as the upper receiver rail perfect in a level.

Not sure what you mean, I think we got our info crossed.

You can just pull back on the delta ring and remove the hand guards you have on now and replace

with a 2 piece quad rail which will be the same height as the rail on the upper receiver.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4519

The height of the quad rail is the same as the upper receiver rail perfect in a level.

well.. here is the issue with that.. the rifle i own (pictured) has a DPMS free float hand guard.. and is not held on with delta rings.. it HAS to come off the end of the rifle.. which means the gas block has to come off.. which means the brake has to to come off..

Ahh I see, it's odd as most free float hand guards require you to cut off the delta ring completely.

well there are no delta rings at all.. this is a factory installed piece.. i think that all dpms free float hand guards are like this..

getting that brake off is going to be difficult i think..

Ahh I see, it's odd as most free float hand guards require you to cut off the delta ring completely.

well there are no delta rings at all.. this is a factory installed piece.. i think that all dpms free float hand guards are like this..

I know I edited my post, I was actually looking at the pic I posted with the scope mount because I am a douche.

It will be a pain in the ass, is it pinned, welded or both?

I know I edited my post, I was actually looking at the pic I posted with the scope mount because I am a douche.

It will be a pain in the a**, is it pinned, welded or both?

muzzlebreak001.jpg

muzzlebreak002.jpg

there appears to be NOTHING messing with the actual threads.. but it looks like they put a pin through it.. sanded it and maybe welded a TINY bit over the pin to keep it in there?

as long as your mounts are high enough to clear the rear sight, or if you remove the rear sight, the front sight shouldnt be a problem, even if it is still in the way I have noticed with any amount of magnification over like a 6power you dont see the front sight anyway. like its not even there.

the plan IS to eventually remove the pin.. remove the brake.. remove the front gas block.. replace the guard with a railed version.. replace the gas block with a low profile one.... reattach the brake and repin.. but that is some serious money and work.. 8-)

but right now i really just want to be able to shoot with the scope.. lol

To get the break off easily and to be able to resue it, Use a center punch on the pin so the bit doesn't "walk" on you. Drill a smaller hole than the pin all the way through. If you mess up, at least the mess up is little and you can still recover. Use progressively larger bits and keep drilling out the hole until the pin is gone. Use lots of oil also to keep the bit(s) from burning up. Tap the brake off.

If you future plan is to change the hand guards then I would buy the mount you want and just remove the rear site for now

instead of wasting cash on a mount that is way to high and looks funny.