Did a little web research. There is an NJ law database at http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/cgi-bin/om ... k=&record={1B9F}&softpage=Doc_Frame_Pg42&wordsaroundhits=2&x=49&y=14&zz=2C%3a58

Scroll down to section 2 or text search for 30-day and you will find the following text:

2C:58-2 Retailing of firearms; licensing of dealers and their employees.

(7)A dealer shall not knowingly deliver more than one handgun to any person within any 30-day period. This limitation shall not apply to:

So having taken possession of a new handgun on 1-7-10, I am in compliance with this provision if I take possession of another on 2-6-10 or later. What seems interesting is the onus is on the dealer, not the buyer, and only if they do so knowingly. It also implies you could buy on the same darn day from two dealers and as long as no one knows, technically it would be in compliance. I do not recommend this nor would I ever do it, as it violates the spirit of the law.

All above is my opinion only, not advise legal or otherwise, YMMV, at your own risk, etc...

unclenunzie

Prior to the web research I called my local PD and they said they had no guidelines, nothing at all. We both agreed that going to the State Police for info was a good next step, and that's what led me to dig up the text of the law/regulations.

I was not aware the SBI was tracking for OGAM, but it certainly makes sense from a process point of view. It sure would be nice if the SAG would issue a memo so NJ LE and fun shops would know how to handle this. So far no one I've actually spoken with has anything.

Anyway just thought I'd share my experience and info,

unclenunzie

My local shop told me they have no way of tracking but could be held responsible if they broke the law.

They were the ones who reminded me a copy of everything is sent to the local PD with the purchase date.

I am hard pressed to believe they will not start checking the permits as they come in. I personally feel it has been

left open to the honor system on purpose, just looking for an example to make and when they get one they will

sure make an example out of that poor sole.

Prior to the web research I called my local PD and they said they had no guidelines, nothing at all. We both agreed that going to the State Police for info was a good next step, and that's what led me to dig up the text of the law/regulations.

I was not aware the SBI was tracking for OGAM, but it certainly makes sense from a process point of view. It sure would be nice if the SAG would issue a memo so NJ LE and fun shops would know how to handle this. So far no one I've actually spoken with has anything.

Anyway just thought I'd share my experience and info,

unclenunzie

They PREFER things to be ambiguous.