NJ609

Another Noobie Building an AR - Me!

There's no reason to take off the front sight for an aimpoint or eotech. Rear back up sight also isn't an issue.

If I remember correctly, the front sight has two pins that you can probably punch out and then the front sight should come off... But if you have a perm attached muzzle device on the front of the barrel, that will have to get cut off for the sight to slide out.

There's really no reason to pull off the front sight unless you want to put on a longer rail or just like flip up sights front and back. To do most of that you'll have to replace the gas block.

But if all you want is a red dot sight and a rear back up sight, the standard front sight won't interfere with any of that.

But if all you want is a red dot sight and a rear back up sight, the standard front sight won't interfere with any of that.

^^^ This is how I'm gonna roll.

BUT... You could cut the top off the stock front sight, grind it flat to make it look right and paint it black. Then just put a front sight of your choice on the tip of your rail and you are good to go.

This way you don't have to replace the gas block or even pull the barrel if you are careful and take precautions to not allow metal bits to fly everywhere. This sounds ghetto but I've seen some and they were done so well you wouldn't know at all that this was done!

Caine nailed it. The only thing I have to add has to do with your preference.

You have to figure out if you want an absolute co-witness or 1/3 co-witness. Its preference, as stated, so, I couldn't tell you if one is better then another. I personally prefer 1/3 co witness with my HWS, but that's mainly because I've trained like that.

I was scratchin my head for a solid minute trying to figure out what an HWS was :lol: just say eotech ;)

ETA: I also prefer a lower 1/3 co-witness

Baaah! Its one of those small things that always gets me. A red dot differs from a holographic weapon system!

But also to add, shaving down your FSB is a decent choice. Down the road, I might consider shaving down the FSB on my new upper, and replacing the rails with something like the DD Lite 10. Its cheaper then replacing it with a new gas block... in either case, just make sure you know what type of rails would fit over the shaved FSB/gas block (if you opt to put the rails over the part). Take for example, its not suggested to put the DD Omega rail system over a shaved FSB (or other gas blocks for that matter)... though some may debate that, but I'd rather not chance it.

:D you're absolutely right - they are different. I go the opposite way and tend to lump them all together for no reason other than laziness ;) I just don't see HWS often, and it took me a second to put it together

If the AWB was thrown out I'd have the muzzle brake pulled off and a quad rail gas block put on. Better supressor would be pinned and then I'd go with a Magpul front sight.

But since that's not likely to happen if I really got bored the shaved stock block would be the way to go. Plus I just like working on my firearms so it would be a project.

I actually do not hate the stock front sight though!

Pete: I'll admit, I lump the differing types into "red dots" when I'm talking to my friend who has no idea about the differences :p , but still!

And I agree with you, NJ609. I prefer the stock FSB actually. Less crap that can break, and if it gets beat up, give the front sight post a quick singeing [with a lighter], it'll be GTG.

If the AWB was thrown out I'd have the muzzle brake pulled off and a quad rail gas block put on. Better supressor would be pinned and then I'd go with a Magpul front sight.

But since that's not likely to happen if I really got bored the shaved stock block would be the way to go. Plus I just like working on my firearms so it would be a project.

I actually do not hate the stock front sight though!

You can have the quad gas rail and everything. Hell, all you need is a metal grinder and dremmel to remove the current brake, do your mods, and then get it pinned (and if you had access to a drill press, you can do that yourself too using a 1/16th or 1/32nd roll pin)

You can have the quad gas rail and everything. Hell, all you need is a metal grinder and dremmel to remove the current brake, do your mods, and then get it pinned (and if you had access to a drill press, you can do that yourself too using a 1/16th or 1/32nd roll pin)

Oh I know I could do the gas block right now. My point is just I wouldn't bother, I'm happy with the gun. If I was pulling the muzzle brake to replace with a real high quailty suppressor then it would be worth it as the block would be VERY easy to replace before I pinned the new suppressor. Stupid NJ laws.... :)

^^^ This is how I'm gonna roll.

I like that idea. Do I have to raise the HWS up on the rail to get it to be 1/3 co-witness?

Different models of EOTechs correspond to different co-witness heights if I remember correctly (not really an EOTech guy - BBK can probably answer that more specifically). Even tho you mentioned HWS, just for knowledge sake, with an Aimpoint, it will depend on the mount you get - some are designed for an "absolute" co-witness, while others do a 1/3.

I rock a true co-witness with Eotechs.

My 552 did that as well as the XPS.

Any eotech that is not on a QD mount will do a true co-witness. If you want a lower 1/3 co-witness using an Eotech get a riser. (Larue comes to mind)

Most of the EOTechs are absolute co witness (dot on the front irons). However, the models with the 7mm raised base are 1/3 co witness (without having to use any extra base): 556.A65, 557.AR223, 553.A65, 517.A65, 516.A65.

I run a 517 myself.

Most of the EOTechs are absolute co witness (dot on the front irons). However, the models with the 7mm raised base are 1/3 co witness (without having to use any extra base): 556.A65, 557.AR223, 553.A65, 517.A65, 516.A65.

I run a 517 myself.

Great. Thanks for the info! :D