NJ609

Another Noobie Building an AR - Me!

Since Mikey and I were chatting in PM's I figured I'd post the typical "I AM GOING TO BUILD MY FIRST AR" thread that's more or less expected of noobs like me. :lol:

Also I've had a few members ask me what I'm including so rather than reply to all, I can just refer to this thread with my parts list.

First off I was going to do a full purchase of an M&P15 or something of similar quality. But I realized that I really do enjoy building things, why would my first AR be any different? It's a good excuse to spend some time with the hobby and become more knowledgeable about a very well known platform.

So here are the parts. Some are chosen for NJ compliance, others because I like the quality, functionality or look of them. No glass yet, it's $$$ and I am going to wait till xmas for a nice Aim-Point or something.

FYI, "FDE" = Flat Dark Earth

Upper

Bushmaster M4 14.5" Barrel w/ pinned Izzy Compensator

Troy Industries MRF-C 7" (FDE) Rail

Troy Industries Modular Combat Grip (FDE)

Troy Industries Q.D. 360 Rail Mount

Magpul Ladder Rail Panel FDE

Magpul XTM Rail Panels FDE

Magpul MBUS Back Up Sight, Rear, FDE

Lower

Stag Arms Lower w/ Trigger Kit (No Stock)

Magpul MOE Pistol Grip FDE

Magpul MOE Trigger Guard, Polymer, FDE

Magpul MS2 Multi Mission Sling System FDE

Magpul ASAP Sling Attachment Point

Magpul 15 Round Magazines FDE (3)

Magpul MOE Pinned Carbine Stock

I also picked up a nice Plano case for it on Amazon.

I really enjoyed the research that went into this parts list, and although it's unique (as is everyone's AR build) I'm confident that it will make for a very reliable rifle once I'm done putting it together.

As I start the build I will post updates and photos. I'll let you know how these parts work out for me and what I'd stick with and/or avoid if I could do it all over. I mean seriously you ALWAYS learn from your first build of anything in any hobby so I don't expect it to go 100% smoothly. Although I sure hope for it!

Looks like you got all the bases covered. One quick note tho based on your list. The Magpul ASAP won't work with an A1/A2/Sully/etc stock. It only works with carbine tubes I believe.

I noticed that but have some friends who can weld. That's more of a long term thing I want to try when I have the time. I'm pretty sure I could get that "bottom" part of the sling attachment onto the mount that comes with the rifle length tube. Or I will just sit on it.

I will wait for our AWB to be overturned (please please please!) and get a Magpul telescoping carbine stock, then use this thing. :) For what it cost I wasn't too worried though and figured I'd hold on to it and figure something out.

In the mean time my C1 has the sling mount on it at the end, and the Magpul is still compatible with it. Just not all fancy like they show in their videos.

Looks like you got all the bases covered. One quick note tho based on your list. The Magpul ASAP won't work with an A1/A2/Sully/etc stock. It only works with carbine tubes I believe.

I noticed that but have some friends who can weld. That's more of a long term thing I want to try when I have the time. I'm pretty sure I could get that "bottom" part of the sling attachment onto the mount that comes with the rifle length tube. Or I will just sit on it.

I will wait for our AWB to be overturned (please please please!) and get a Magpul telescoping carbine stock, then use this thing. :) For what it cost I wasn't too worried though and figured I'd hold on to it and figure something out.

In the mean time my C1 has the sling mount on it at the end, and the Magpul is still compatible with it. Just not all fancy like they show in their videos.

Don't hold your breath. ;)

Don't hold your breath. ;)

Guess we will see what SCOTUS says in March (or Juneish when they actually make the decision.) A man can dream can't he? lol

I'm with ya... but in all honesty, an AWB like the one in NJ is going to be tough sell when debating its constitutionality. It doesn't effectively ban an entire class of weapons, and it's difficult to call it a rationing scheme.

In fact, following McD v. Chicago, the only real change in NJ may be the Pistol Permit process and how our FIDs work.

In fact, following McD v. Chicago, the only real change in NJ may be the Pistol Permit process and how our FIDs work.

You're probably right. If I saw that was the direction things were going I'd have one of the FFL's here pin a Magpul stock for me and just accept my lot in life.

You're probably right. If I saw that was the direction things were going I'd have one of the FFL's here pin a Magpul stock for me and just accept my lot in life.

Hey man, don't give up. Change is always possible in this state. It won't be easy, but it's possible.

I'm with ya... but in all honesty, an AWB like the one in NJ is going to be tough sell when debating its constitutionality. It doesn't effectively ban an entire class of weapons, and it's difficult to call it a rationing scheme.

Hopefully the SCOTUS decides in favor of the second amendment. While NJ assult weapon law may not ban an entire class of weapons, the case could clearly be made that it is an entirely arbitrary list. The fact that I can buy a Colt Match Target and not a Colt AR-15, when the differences between the two are mainly cosmetic, helps make that point. The flip side is that gun banners will use that same argument to try to tighten the law.

Hopefully the SCOTUS decides in favor of the second amendment. While NJ assult weapon law may not ban an entire class of weapons, the case could clearly be made that it is an entirely arbitrary list. The fact that I can buy a Colt Match Target and not a Colt AR-15, when the differences between the two are mainly cosmetic, helps make that point. The flip side is that gun banners will use that same argument to try to tighten the law.

The big thing to look at here is how Heller v. DC affected their laws... if they still have capacity limits and bans on certain weapons because of name/designation, then you have your answer.

The big thing to look at here is how Heller v. DC affected their laws... if they still have capacity limits and bans on certain weapons because of name/designation, then you have your answer.

DC is being sued *again* because they are not following the ruling. It will take a long time for all this crap to work it's way through the system. Short of throwing officials in jail for blatant violations, nothing is going to get better with out one heck of a fight. They are swine.

DC is being sued *again* because they are not following the ruling. It will take a long time for all this crap to work it's way through the system. Short of throwing officials in jail for blatant violations, nothing is going to get better with out one heck of a fight. They are swine.

Exactly. The state will fight tooth and nail to keep their stupid Gun Control Laws, even if (after a positive ruling in McD v. Chicago) they're in the wrong.

I suggest you join ANJRPC. They actually fight for us here in NJ... NRA/GOA, not so much.

I will join when I join Cherry Ridge.

Nothing like a good snow day to get some work done on your AR build! Not done yet as I'm waiting for some parts but I got a good bit of work accomplished today.

Please note that all items pictured are compliant with all NJ and Federal laws.

The package:

post-1409-001278600 1284180310_thumb.jpgP1030087.JPG[/attachment]

The lower:

[attachment=0]P1030086.JPG[/attachment]

Man this stuff is fun! Had to remove the Delta Ring and associated parts to install the Troy rail. The stock non swivel front sling attachment had to be drilled, the pin would NOT come out. Everything else was pretty easy though.

And.... DONE. Man this was fun to build. Except for the castle nut. I hate them now. :)

Here's my Flat Dark Earth furnished AR15, all NJ compliant of course. Pinned, perm attached, etc etc.

[attachment=2]s1.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=1]s2.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=0]slinged.JPG[/attachment]

could be wrong.. but the Izzy Compensator IS considered a flash hider as far as i know..

edit: http://www.bushmaster.com/products.asp?cat=8

Bushmaster "Izzy" Flash Suppressor/Compensator

One of a series designed by a Bushmaster employee - features 3 gas ports, a machine turned ribbed design, and a closed bottom. It is bored to function as a Flash Suppressor, but also effectively controls muzzle rise in rapid fire. Quality gunsteel - manganese phosphate finished - 2 3/16" overall length - threaded 1/2" x 28 T.p.I. (threads per inch) for 5.56mm/.223 Rem. caliber barrels. Install using a 3/4" open end wrench and a crush washer or peel washer.

This upper is the AWB compliant version. It's not the same Izzy as they make one that's a brake and one that is a brake & flash suppressor.

They are very specific about this in their catalog so people like me don't go to jail. :)

weird.. what makes it a brake and not a flash hider? any idea? the reason i ask is i am curious as to how you can remove the flash hiding effect while retaining the brake effect.. i always looked at attachments that had long narrow slots as generally being hiders.. and the ones that have more rounded ports as being brakes.. granted this is not a concrete perfect system but MOST hiders have the long narrow slots..

would the fsc556 pinned on a 14.5" meet the minimum length requirement?

It should. It measure 2.1 inches according to the PWS site. The threading is probably like 1/2 inch... so, it should put you right around 16.1" if my math is right.

Is there any way to get that front sight off without cutting it off? I have the Bushmaster as well and I wanted to put on an eotech or aimpoint and backup iron sights. I'm an uber-noob so I have no idea how to get that permanant front sight off. :(