Sign in to follow this  
Shane45

IDPA Poor form????

Well having never even attended an IDPA match I figure it may be better to ask first. I get the impression that IDPA doesnt like to be looked at from a "game" perspective. But it is a competition right? So here is the question. Chatting with some business owner friends. Told them I was returning to competition and going to give IDPA a try. Well, the started to ask about sponsership. So would it be in poor form if I wore sponsers on my cover garment? They are willing to foot my entire practice and match ammo bill :D:dance:

... but several of the GM that shoot USPSA with us wear shirts with logos. I never really noticed or asked if they were sponsored. Most competitors are too busy getting their equipment ready and checking the stages to notice what others are wearing. The only rule I can recall regarding apparel is regarding offensive or politically oriented garb being considered unsportsmanlike conduct. Therefore, you have not violated any rules. If anyone has a problem, ask them the cite the specific rule you have violated and I mean get out the rulebook and point to it.

Both large active IDPA (style) clubs require attendance at a beginners or orientation seminar prior to being allowed into any matches. I can see the need because the movement can cause situations bordering or entering into a dangerous area.

Our club requires attendance at a Beginner's Session before being allowed to attend a monthly Tactical Practice session. At these sessions the range is always hot and movement throughout the area is the norm. It allows the instructors to observe new people unknown to use prior to the full speed sessions.

IDPA type shooting is great fun though although you will burn through the ammo. SIG runs a Intro to IDPA Shooting http://www.sigsaueracademy.com/Courses/ ... 70&ccid=10 But it's not a beginners course. Excellent shooting skills are required before they allow anyone to attend. Mike Briggs is an outstanding instructor who runs the IDPA matches up at his club several times a year to large groups. It's an outstanding setup and lots of fun....until your Glock disassembles itself...

rscalzo, thanks for the info. What about someone like myself dusting off the irons and crossing over from IPSC to IDPA? I was shooting well into open b class scores before I put the guns away.

Date Number Club F Percent Entered

11/08/98 98-13 CENTRAL JERSEY RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB Y 68.9380 12/16/98

8/09/98 98-10 CENTRAL JERSEY RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB Y 67.9570 8/27/98

7/19/98 98AWR WATERVLIET PRACTICAL SHOOTERS Y 51.2500 8/10/98

crossing over from IPSC to IDPA

I am the wrong one to ask. I go up and shoot a few times but not seriously. It's just that Mike Briggs / Pioneer Sportsmen & my club do charity matches one a year so we try out the scenarios. http://www.nouveauhosting.com/PioneerSportsmen/

He's a great guy and down to earth. Plus he's Buddy Epson's cousin so you think Jed Clampet is shooting the match.