Sign in to follow this  
Guest *_*

Just got my turkey permit!!!

and man am I excited.

I am going to use my 1187 and throw some heavy shot at it.

I have some inflatable 3d turkeys, and a popup blind...

Anyone else as excited for may as I am?

WHOO HOOO!!!

I am... maybe you can help me as I have a few questions. BTW, I am a NOOB to hunting off private property:

#1)After I pick a few spots out in zone 20. I saw that hunting was 1/2 hour before dawn to 12:00 PM. Do I simply walk through the woods to my spot while it is still dark? How do I do this without distracting game and ticking off some other hunters? The only time I ever hunted was on private property in PA when I was younger and there was no one else around. What is the protocol if you do not mind explaining...

#2) Very similar to number one. If I do not like my spot can I simply get up and move to another one? Once again, trying to be courteous to others what is the protocol?

#3) For safety purposes. Would you advise tying a hunter orange ribbon about 6' high up a tree to alert other hunters?

#4) Does it get as crowded as people say it does?

I am... maybe you can help me as I have a few questions. BTW, I am a NOOB to hunting off private property:

#1)After I pick a few spots out in zone 20. I saw that hunting was 1/2 hour before dawn to 12:00 PM. Do I simply walk through the woods to my spot while it is still dark? How do I do this without distracting game and ticking off some other hunters? The only time I ever hunted was on private property in PA when I was younger and there was no one else around. What is the protocol if you do not mind explaining...

#2) Very similar to number one. If I do not like my spot can I simply get up and move to another one? Once again, trying to be courteous to others what is the protocol?

#3) For safety purposes. Would you advise tying a hunter orange ribbon about 6' high up a tree to alert other hunters?

#4) Does it get as crowded as people say it does?

Yes, just scout out your area ahead of time, then on the morning of the hunt, go to your spot, tie a ribbon on the tree you are hunting under, its NJ, so whatever for ticking off other hunters, just be quiet and make sure you can see where you are going, get an led light for your hat, or something.

You can move around if you dont like your spot, but thats the reason you should scout ahead of time so you have confidence in your spot, look for signs in an area, and stick with it...good luck!!

Thanks... Happy and safe hunting.

PS, the best way to scout the spot is to go there before sun up and just listen. If you are going to use a crow call, just use it a couple of times, dont do it too much. They may not respond when season starts....

good luck!

Come to my street for some turkey hunting! :D Chased a couple of birds away with the dog, was hoping she'd catch one and I could prevail upon my wife to de-feather and gut it :shock: Ah well,I can try & sneak up on one with a baseball bat, anyways--

Out on the land that I hunt in sussex county they are all over the hill behind the cabin.

There is a guy who lives out there who feeds them.

We have a little concrete blind that we hunt from behind, and its privately owned land, so we are good to go as anyone else is trespassing. Those guys dont tolerate that at all.

Its kinda wild, there are coyotes, and bear as well as deer and turkeys...

I have to keep an eye out for bears where I hunt...big time...