Sign in to follow this  
fishnut

bear protection

.if he charges, you should wait until he is really close....

while having NEVER hunted i would say there is safety in distance.. and the idea of waiting till a charging 400lb animal is REAL close is not one I would really consider.. while I would NOT go out of my way to harm a car.. if one CHARGED me at all.. and I felt unsafe.. I would likely take the first shot at first site of charging.. in some of the shooting classes I have we did experiments to show how fast a HUMAN can close distance on you abruptly and well im going to error on the side of assuming a bear is going to be moving at LEAST as fast as a human..

LOL...alot of times the bears do bluff charges, and then turn at about 5 feet away...they just do this to see whos boss...It is intimidating to see that big shaking mass coming at you...but they are mostly going to lose that battle in NJ...you need some nerves and need to be steady when hunting...

Also, keep in mind, YOU WILL NOT OUTRUN THE BEAR...They are really fast..

Just remember one thing, for those of you folks who are in bear Country here in NJ. all of those PSA's about playing dead, the bear will bury you to snack later..are ALL designed for Grizzley, brown, and kodiak bears. Black bears DO NOT exhibit those behaviors. if a Black bear is lookign at you as a meal, he is going to eat your butt, not beat the snot out of you and leave you to die. He WILL kill you on the spot, and he WILL eat you on the spot. Guides up in alaska dont mess around with black bears..if they see a Black bear gettign froggy they put him down hard and fast. people here see them as big animated teddy bears, and dont understand that for right now, the Bear is NJ's Apex predator.

Just remember one thing, for those of you folks who are in bear Country here in NJ. all of those PSA's about playing dead, the bear will bury you to snack later..are ALL designed for Grizzley, brown, and kodiak bears. Black bears DO NOT exhibit those behaviors. if a Black bear is lookign at you as a meal, he is going to eat your butt, not beat the snot out of you and leave you to die. He WILL kill you on the spot, and he WILL eat you on the spot. Guides up in alaska dont mess around with black bears..if they see a Black bear gettign froggy they put him down hard and fast. people here see them as big animated teddy bears, and dont understand that for right now, the Bear is NJ's Apex predator.

This is 100% correct, black bears are freaky like that, you have to stab it, shoot it, what ever you need to do, just get that thing off of you, because as kpdpipes said, they will kill your ass.

Trust me, the big bears no longer move for people, which should make great hunting success this winter...I just wish they had the hunt in the fall when the bears are fat and ready to sleep, well actually the bears in NJ dont sleep because there is so much food lying around the state...

I run into bears in my yard fairly regularly May through September. I've had 3 NBEs. That's Near Bear Experiences where I was within 15 feet. I round the corner of my house and there he is. The closest was about a 500lb male about 8 feet from me. I looked at him, he looked at me, he huffed, clattered his teeth and we had a staring contest. I yelled at him, raised my arms...he shrugged, turned and mosey'd away.

Clearly not afraid of me and apparently not hungry either :D .

Since that particular incident, I look both ways when exiting the house and slowly approach the blind corner during peak bear times.

I run into bears in my yard fairly regularly May through September. I've had 3 NBEs. That's Near Bear Experiences where I was within 15 feet. I round the corner of my house and there he is. The closest was about a 500lb male about 8 feet from me. I looked at him, he looked at me, he huffed, clattered his teeth and we had a staring contest. I yelled at him, raised my arms...he shrugged, turned and mosey'd away.

Since that particular incident, I look both ways when exiting the house and slowly approach the blind corner during peak bear times.

If that had been me, since that particular incident, I would carry when taking out the trash.

If that had been me, since that particular incident, I would carry when taking out the trash.

I've thought about it...really. It's pretty rare that they get up right to the house. Usually only once a year.

I have a funny story...so it's trash day and I took the trash out early..went back in the house...5 minutes later I come out to leave. Bear is on the road, looking at the trash bag(pre bear can days). I'm halfway to the road before I see him, we both stop. He looks at me, looks at bag, I look at him, he takes 3 steps forward so I take 3 steps forward. He looks at me, I look at him. It's a pure Mexican standoff, lol. I yell, and sorta do that shoosh motion at him. He gives me a whiny look like "Ah, c'mon man, give a black bear a chance". He takes one more step towards the bag and then I jumped forward a foot or so and gave a primal scream and he bolted. I then ran over and tore into the garbage bag and ate my spoils of war.

I've thought about it...really. It's pretty rare that they get up right to the house. Usually only once a year.

I have a funny story...so it's trash day and I took the trash out early..went back in the house...5 minutes later I come out to leave. Bear is on the road, looking at the trash bag(pre bear can days). I'm halfway to the road before I see him, we both stop. He looks at me, looks at bag, I look at him, he takes 3 steps forward so I take 3 steps forward. He looks at me, I look at him. It's a pure Mexican standoff, lol. I yell, and sorta do that shoosh motion at him. He gives me a whiny look like "Ah, c'mon man, give a black bear a chance". He takes one more step towards the bag and then I jumped forward a foot or so and gave a primal scream and he bolted. I then ran over and tore into the garbage bag and ate my spoils of war.

LOL...thats funny...