almiz111

HP Ammo Laws

Can you help, please? I am buying some HP ammo from Cabellas for my Walther PK380. Any new ammo should be tested in the gun right? And in NJ posession of HP is not legal outside the home, right?

So what happens when I have it in transport to/from the range?

Further - what if I had bought it at Dicks. I have to transport it home.

Thanks.

Welcome to the Forum.

There have been multiple threads on this. A search might get you the full details, but the run down is that you are perfectly legal when transporting them to and from a legal activity such as the target range, hunting, or from the retailer.

Just go from your home to the range, gun unloaded and separate from the ammo. After go home without any substantial diversions.

Just don't leave the Hollow points in the car after you get home and you will be OK.

Here is a link to the state police website explaining this: http://njsp.org/about/fire_hollow.html

HP is legal to purchase, legal to have in the home, legal to transport from the place of purchase, legal to transport to and from the range. legal to keep in your HD gun, legal to fire at the range, legal to have shipped to your home or business, legal to do anything that solid ammo is legal for EXCEPT put it in a gun that you're carrying with a CCW. It's also more illegal to use in the commission of a crime than solid ammo, and you will face additional charges.

HP is legal to purchase, legal to have in the home, legal to transport from the place of purchase, legal to transport to and from the range. legal to keep in your HD gun, legal to fire at the range, legal to have shipped to your home or business, legal to do anything that solid ammo is legal for EXCEPT put it in a gun that you're carrying with a CCW. It's also more illegal to use in the commission of a crime than solid ammo, and you will face additional charges.

Not to confuse the issue, but I can keep solid point ammo in my car as much as I want, but I can't do that with hollow point ammo. right?

The possession of HP outside of regular and legal firearms activity is considered a crime. So, don't leave it in your car and go hoist a few at the nearest gogo bar.

The possession of HP outside of regular and legal firearms activity is considered a crime. So, don't leave it in your car and go hoist a few at the nearest gogo bar.

I understand this.. but you said HP ammo is legal for anything the solid point ammo is. Which is not the case. I can have a trunk full of solid point ammo while im out cruising if I wanted to. Not the same with HP.

I understand this.. but you said HP ammo is legal for anything the solid point ammo is. Which is not the case. I can have a trunk full of solid point ammo while im out cruising if I wanted to. Not the same with HP.

Ya got me. I am humbled. I'll flagellate myself later.

The only time HP ammo is illegal, is if it is used in the commission of a crime. Just like a baseball bat is legal, unless you bash somebody with it, then it becomes a weapon, and therefore illegal.

Or carrying with it, or driving around with it in your car for no reason.