Sign in to follow this  
GoNRA

Boy Scouts keep it modern with virtual scouting badge

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/0 ... _with.html

CEDAR GROVE -- Used to be, you survived the wilderness to get a Scouting badge; now you just have to survive playing Wii Sports Resort.

Granted, virtual Scouting is only one small badge available only to Cub Scouts, but the newest Boy Scouts of America offering does have some old-timers flummoxed.

"You just shake your head and wonder what we

ummm???? what happened to strictly survival training? well I guess, half of the population would virtue their xbox over another important survival tool these days.. :lol:

That sentence above makes me think of something I heard on 101.5 one day.. he said "Even if you come in last place, they always find a way to give you a medal of some sort, so you can feel like you won something.. but then they will go through life never losing anything, and it will have a long term affect, that I always deserve something for nothing."

As a Boy Scout leader, We are still committed to getting the boys outdoors and do useful things. We allow the boys to have cell phones only for safety, no gaming. I think as a testament to our troop, in 3 years we have had 5 Eagle Scouts come thru, and 5 more coming in the next year. That alone is an awesome task. Not all scouting groups are like the above article. I am not trashing them, but we do not allow those types of activities.

The boys also love all the shooting merit badges for obvious reasons, they would not be able to shoot a gun or bow anytime on their own.

I do love the Cherry Ridge scout day when that hap :violence-sniperprone: pens.

I don't see anything wrong with this approach. The article states numerous times throughout that the BSA is not shifting towards this type of environment, but is using this method to draw in a targeted group of children.

Its not hard to believe that in the current day society many children have never had the chance to experience the outdoors; considering the number of broken families and fusion of technology and culture. By drawing these types of children in, who knows what might be achieved? Maybe some children won't be into all of the outdoors stuff... but maybe it'll open new worlds and opportunities (and futures) for many others.

From a marketing standpoint, its brilliant by the BSA. It also speaks volumes of cultures being able to change with the times, or be left in the dust.

Scouting simply isn't about being outdoors alone, although that is a major component of it. It's also about shaping boys and young men into productive good members of the community/society. This can't be done by the scout masters alone, the parents need to be involved heavily.

I was in scouts pretty much my entire childhood and teen-hood, I got to life scout and was only a few badges away from the Eagle Project, but I got a job, a car, joined the first aid squad (became and emt) and started getting interested in girls and drinking.. so maybe these new merit badges (Geocaching, and this cubscout virtual gaming thing, and I think there are others) are just a way to keep scouts interested.

The scouts are already loosing membership (or not gaining new members) at record numbers.

But looking back on it, I wouldn't trade my scouting experience for anything. I learned so many invaluable things to list.

I am the cubmaster of a very large pack, the finance chairman of a district and on the executive board of a large council. So I know the facts, and once these pieces started hitting the media we were prepared. It's funny to see how one media outlet does a piece on something and the next thing you know everyone has a "exclusive" piece on the same thing.

The first article is a little strange. There is no "virtual scouting" badge, etc. It's very poorly written.

There is a new "Video Games" belt loop. Belt loops are fun activities for cub scouts. Other belt loops that have been around forever are marbles, ice skating, bowling, badminton, etc. Non-sports belt loops include Hertitages, Math, Geology, Chess, Collecting, etc. They are not required for advancement (except as part of a larger requirement in Webelos), and are "extras" for fun.

Here are the requirements for the Video Games Belt Loop:

1. Explain why it is important to have a rating system for video games. Check your video games to be sure they are right for your age.

2. With an adult, create a schedule for you to do things that includes your chores, homework, and video gaming. Do your best to follow this schedule.

3. Learn to play a new video game that is approved by your parent, guardian, or teacher.

For every belt loop, there is also a "pin" which focuses on the same activities, but in more depth. Belt loops can often be accomplished in an afternoon, and many belt loops can get picked up through school gym, etc. Pins usually require a lot more work. Here are the requirements for the Video Games pin:

Do 5 of these:

1. With your parents, create a plan to buy a video game that is right for your age group.

2. Compare two game systems (for example, Microsoft Xbox, Sony PlayStation, Nintendo Wii, and so on). Explain some of the differences between the two. List good reasons to purchase or use a game system.

3. Play a video game with family members in a family tournament.

4. Teach an adult or a friend how to play a video game.

5. List at least five tips that would help someone who was learning how to play your favorite video game.

6. Play an appropriate video game with a friend for one hour.

7. Play a video game that will help you practice your math, spelling, or another skill that helps you in your schoolwork.

8. Choose a game you might like to purchase. Compare the price for this game at three different stores. Decide which store has the best deal. In your decision, be sure to consider things like the store return policy and manufacturer

ummm???? what happened to strictly survival training?

Boy Scouting has never been about "strictly survival training." Not sure where you got that idea. I have a full set of BSA handbooks back to 1910, and although the early handbooks certainly had more focus on some more primitive outdoors activities (tracking, trapping) than the middle years, the newest handbooks also have a lot of focus on camping. Camping, hiking, swimming, boating are all core parts of Boy Scouting advancement.

On the other hand, this whole article confuses Boy Scouting with Cub Scouting. This is a silly "belt loop" for Cub Scouts, who are in 1st through the first half of 5th grade. There isn't much "survival training" for our 1st grade Tiger Cub Scouts. They do learn how to pitch a tent, and in 3rd grade they learn how to use pocket knives.

ummm???? what happened to strictly survival training?

Boy Scouting has never been about "strictly survival training." Not sure where you got that idea. I have a full set of BSA handbooks back to 1910, and although the early handbooks certainly had more focus on some more primitive outdoors activities (tracking, trapping) than the middle years, the newest handbooks also have a lot of focus on camping. Camping, hiking, swimming, boating are all core parts of Boy Scouting advancement.

On the other hand, this whole article confuses Boy Scouting with Cub Scouting. This is a silly "belt loop" for Cub Scouts, who are in 1st through the first half of 5th grade. There isn't much "survival training" for our 1st grade Tiger Cub Scouts. They do learn how to pitch a tent, and in 3rd grade they learn how to use pocket knives.

Ahh.. the good old totin' chip card.. ? I've had several of those taken away :o