DevsAdvocate

Problems with my Kimber 1911...

You replaced the Main Spring? Did you mean Recoil Spring?

I highly recommend visiting here-http://m1911.org/full_1911desc.htm- for some insight as to how everything works on your 1911. Also, the Kimber is built to tight tolerances in pursuit of accuracy. If you don't want to clean often get a cheap government model and it will shoot no matter what. Hell, the 1911 I had in the service rattled like it would fall apart but you could not make it fail. It was 100% reliable no matter how full of sand or whatever was in it.

I will also state that almost all of my early 1911 FTE and FTF problems were cause by "limp wristing". And I don't mean like Pinky. ;)

Once I figured that out and improved my grip voila no more problems.

I hope you get it solved. If not I'll give you 100 bucks for that old POS. :lol:

HTH

Recoil spring.

for all of you that said its the external extractor the Kimber TLE/RL II does not have one

His pictures state otherwise. I stand by my assessment.

All this spring replacement jive is at best (if it works) a band aid. The external extractor on Kimbers are a notoriously bad design. This why they are no longer used.

Tested it out this past Saturday at the Bullet Hole with the new spring. Shot Federal FMJ through it. The FTEs were significantly reduced, but still occurred twice over 100 rounds. I used both my Wilson Combat and Kimber mags.

I think I am going to send it in and try to get the slide replaced with an internal extractor.

for all of you that said its the external extractor the Kimber TLE/RL II does not have one

His pictures state otherwise. I stand by my assessment.

All this spring replacement jive is at best (if it works) a band aid. The external extractor on Kimbers are a notoriously bad design. This why they are no longer used.

My mistake I didnt look at his pictures and went off of my TLE/RL II which has the internal extractor and has run flawlessly

i have a kimber 1911 grand raptor and it is beautiful i would definitely send it back to them and i don't think i agree with their quality control lacking issues because the gun is the smoothest shooting thing that i have ever shot but ya send it in it cant hurt and they will tell you wat is wrong i have a remington 597 .22lr and i bought that new and they think would FTE all the time i sent it back and they fixed the extractor for free

I have a few kimbers, and again, the more you shoot it, the smoother it gets and all those 'issues' go away.

The guns are tight, and thats just the way it is with Kimber.

You could buy a lesser quality 1911 and not have these issues.

All Kimbers have a long breakin period, I too have had many of these issues when I first got them. The more I fired 230 ball ammo, the smoother it got.

Just keep is greasy, run oil down the side of the slide, (stand the slide on its nose, and run oil down the side)

Keep the extractor clean, maybe take it out and clean it good.

It most likely is not the spring, it may also be your shooting style and how your hand handles the recoil. Ive seen many .45's jam up due to the 'up and away to the right' recoil nature of that gun.

Just my guess.