DevsAdvocate

Problems with my Kimber 1911...

Posted this on ARFCOM as well as here:

Kimber : TLE/RL II 1911, .45acp, bought used with 500 rounds through it. Put another 300 through it myself.

To start: The thing FTEs like a mofo. About every 5 shots, with all types of ammo (Blazer Aluminum, Remington UMC, Winchester JHP, etc.), and in both types of magazines (Kimber ProMags and Wilson Combat Elite Tactical Magazines).

History: This was always a background issue with my Kimber, when I first got it, it would happen once every 3 magazines... but not it's up to once ever 3 shots. Visual inspection of the extractor claw shows nothing wrong...

Types of malfunction: Failure-to-Extract (from chamber) and Failure-to-Eject (empty case is stuck in the extractor)

Here are some pics:

kimberextractorii004.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

kimberextractorii002.th.jpg

Anyone have any thoughts as to why it keeps FTEing? This thing is starting to piss me off... I am gonna call Kimber tomorrow and see what they say as well.

Even though the extractor claw "looks" ok it doesnt mean its ok. That is most likely your problem. I don't know much about Kimber but I would see how they are as far as warranty and see if they can fix it for you. Don't mention you bought the gun from someone else. I would just see what they can do to hep you.

External extractors = nightmare. Kimber says they no longer replace/fix them for free . But I hear that's not true. Send it to them to fix . You also might want to replace the springs with wolf springs. Almost every 1911 sold only has a few rounds through it. LOL!!

Kimber : TLE/RL II 1911, .45acp, bought used with 500 rounds through it. Put another 300 through it myself.

To start: The thing FTEs like a mofo. About every 5 shots, with all types of ammo (Blazer Aluminum, Remington UMC, Winchester JHP, etc.), and in both types of magazines (Kimber ProMags and Wilson Combat Elite Tactical Magazines).

History: This was always a background issue with my Kimber, when I first got it, it would happen once every 3 magazines... but not it's up to once ever 3 shots. Visual inspection of the extractor claw shows nothing wrong...

Types of malfunction: Failure-to-Extract (from chamber) and Failure-to-Eject (empty case is stuck in the extractor)

As an owner of several kimbers, I will tell you that you need to put about 1k round thru before it works flawlessly...

Here are some pics:

Anyone have any thoughts as to why it keeps FTEing? This thing is starting to piss me off... I am gonna call Kimber tomorrow and see what they say as well.

As an owner of several kimbers, you need to put like 1k rounds thru for it to work flawlessly...

Have you taken the gun apart? Lubed the shit out of it?

Have you Cleaned it, cleaned the main spring, removed and cleaned the extractor? everything?

Kimbers need to be like that oil well in the Gulf...slick with oil...

the wolf tune up kit is amazing, although kimber should already have that gun tuned that is why you pay the extra for a kimber.

+1, your paying for quality not quantity.

Called them today, told them I was the original owner (dunno how they would check), and they asked me to send it in to get looked at along with a letter describing the issue, number of years owned, number and type of ammo run through it.

Don't know if they'll replace the whole slide or not... but you never know.

As an owner of several kimbers, you need to put like 1k rounds thru for it to work flawlessly...

Have you taken the gun apart? Lubed the **** out of it?

Have you Cleaned it, cleaned the main spring, removed and cleaned the extractor? everything?

I lube it up ever 100 rounds. Disassemble and clean ever 300 or so.

Kimber is a client of mine (for insurance) and they do a good job at customer service.

Most likely they will replace all the internals in the slide, and you should be good to go.

I field strip and clean/oil mine after every range trip. She runs like a Swiss clock on all FMJ Ball ammo except MFS(cabelas). Hollow point is a problem though. I'd say I have about 750 rds through her since new.

"I have not been impressed with the Kimbers I have shot. To me they are the Absolut vodka of the handgun world. A mediocre product hiding behind good marketing, fancy packaging and a high price tag."

-me

Although I believe the last time I posted thuis quote, I was corrected that the 1st generation Kimbers were really good. Supposedly quality control has suffered because of ramped up production.

"I have not been impressed with the Kimbers I have shot. To me they are the Absolut vodka of the handgun world. A mediocre product hiding behind good marketing, fancy packaging and a high price tag."

-me

They call it snob appeal!

I field strip and clean/oil mine after every range trip. She runs like a Swiss clock on all FMJ Ball ammo except MFS(cabelas). Hollow point is a problem though. I'd say I have about 750 rds through her since new.

I shouldn't have to field strip a 1911 of any kind after a range trip... a bore snake on barrel and ramp should suffice along with some additional oil. 1911s are supposed to be able to run dirty as long as they're run wet.

-me

Although I believe the last time I posted thuis quote, I was corrected that the 1st generation Kimbers were really good. Supposedly quality control has suffered because of ramped up production.

It was my first gun... k? In hindsight, I sorta wish I never got it... but them damned 1911s have an appeal all their own.

-me

They call it snob appeal!

Hk is a bigger penis extension. followed by Sig.

I enjoy my Hk P30L and Sig 556 though.

Imagine if Hk made a 1911....

You are absolutely right about the the reliability if the 1911. But, as we have evolved them over the years making them and more accurate that reliability has been reduced. I have a stock SS Goverment that I would use for self defense, this gun rattles. Now I have an STI target gun tight and a real shooter that I wouldn't use for SD. Also some of the clones ,Kimber being one,

had deviated from the original Browning design.

Just some thoughts!

I shouldn't have to field strip a 1911 of any kind after a range trip... a bore snake on barrel and ramp should suffice along with some additional oil. 1911s are supposed to be able to run dirty as long as they're run wet.

Funny, that's how I like my women too.

Funny, that's how I like my women too.

Bingo. ;)

Never said I have to. I just do it. I also rinse my lawn spreader after every app.

Just the way I was raised I guess. Kimbers do evoke a love/hate reaction out of people. There is not many 1911's I would rather have then my Raptor.

And the ones I would rather own cost about 4 times as much.

But that's what makes a horse race as my gramps used to say.

Here are some pics:

This happens with mine when it hasn't been cleaned and lubed for a little while after use. Usually taking it apart and cleaning all the parts and lubing them, works perfect afterwards.

I'd replace the recoil spring and also try different mags to start. Chip McCormick makes really reliable and inexpensive mags. Older Kimbers came with crappy mags I believe. Next is to check the extractor, slide an empty case up from the breach face and center it with the firing pin. It should hold the case firmly but not tightly in place. You should be able to easily slide it out but the case shouldn't drop out by itself.

OR, you can trade it in for a Dan Wesson at around the same price point and you'll be a much happy man 8-)

I'd replace the recoil spring and also try different mags to start. Chip McCormick makes really reliable and inexpensive mags. Older Kimbers came with crappy mags I believe. Next is to check the extractor, slide an empty case up from the breach face and center it with the firing pin. It should hold the case firmly but not tightly in place. You should be able to easily slide it out but the case shouldn't drop out by itself.

OR, you can trade it in for a Dan Wesson at around the same price point and you'll be a much happy man 8-)

Replaced the main spring with a new one. The old spring was about an inch shorter than the new one... maybe from all that use?

Oiled it up nicely today, maybe go shoot tomorrow, maybe not.

As for trading it in? Perhaps. I've been contemplating how much I'd be willing to ask for it.

You replaced the Main Spring? Did you mean Recoil Spring?

I highly recommend visiting here-http://m1911.org/full_1911desc.htm- for some insight as to how everything works on your 1911. Also, the Kimber is built to tight tolerances in pursuit of accuracy. If you don't want to clean often get a cheap government model and it will shoot no matter what. Hell, the 1911 I had in the service rattled like it would fall apart but you could not make it fail. It was 100% reliable no matter how full of sand or whatever was in it.

I will also state that almost all of my early 1911 FTE and FTF problems were cause by "limp wristing". And I don't mean like Pinky. ;)

Once I figured that out and improved my grip voila no more problems.

I hope you get it solved. If not I'll give you 100 bucks for that old POS. :lol:

HTH