Sign in to follow this  
Cemeterys Gun Blob

Surrendering Broken Firearms

You could surrender them but if they are really just straight up junk, under federal law if you cut the receiver into pieces or just smash it to bits with a sledge hammer or something that'll do the trick. Not sure if NJ law views it any different or not. Good way to take out stress too lol.

list them for sale and what the problems are. you'd be suprised how many people search for good deals on stuff they can "bring back to life". most of these people have the skills and tools that they can fix it themselves and the "unable to fix at a reasonable price" doesnt matter to them. You'd probably get at least as much as a cash for clunkers program.

You could surrender them but if they are really just straight up junk, under federal law if you cut the receiver into pieces or just smash it to bits with a sledge hammer or something that'll do the trick. Not sure if NJ law views it any different or not. Good way to take out stress too lol.

I was thinking of that, but they'd still be on my record here in NJ. I had that explained to me awhile back, when the Firearms Dept in Jersey City showed me a record of my S&W 686 being sold, thus being removed off my registration record and onto someone elses. Also did that when I sold a pair of cowboy guns out of state.

Makes me wonder what other stuff they keep on record....

I was thinking of that, but they'd still be on my record here in NJ. I had that explained to me awhile back, when the Firearms Dept in Jersey City showed me a record of my S&W 686 being sold, thus being removed off my registration record and onto someone elses. Also did that when I sold a pair of cowboy guns out of state.

Makes me wonder what other stuff they keep on record....

Ah, I see. Best to sell them then.

I bet you a cool million that selling or destroying does not trigger your purchase permit record getting pulled at the issuing PD. Likewise it doesnt trigger anyone at the selling FFL to go erase it from the bound book......

You're probably right, but it's all about the paper trail in NJ. I've seen the paper work that the NJSP, and my local PD have showing my firearms coming off my record, and going onto someone elses. They showed it me, explained what it meant, they just covered up any identifying info on the current owners info.

Besides, in NJ the courts declared that *gunowners act at their own peril*. And I rather keep things clean. Cause they do flag people who have over a certain amount of firearms. Again, I've seen it.

With NJ's Lost and Stolen, I'd rather not be the AG's test case on charging someone with breaking the Lost and Stolen law, by not disposing of them properly. Think I'm joking? There is a guy right here in NJ who was charged with owning a firearm (an AR 15) that could easily be made to work as full auto, even though it was semi.

Sell them to Numrich Arms for parts.

You can strip the parts and turn in the receiver. This would give you something to show you don't have the gun anymore. I don't think NJSP maintains records of long guns but if it is a long gun you'd want the record of turnin anyway.

I bet you a cool million that selling or destroying does not trigger your purchase permit record getting pulled at the issuing PD. Likewise it doesnt trigger anyone at the selling FFL to go erase it from the bound book......

It shouldn't remove those records.

The PD has to show final disposition of that permit. The FFL cannot erase it from his bound book and needs to maintain a record of that transaction. These things have nothing to do with you turning the gun in for destruction.