Old School

Hey Newbees-Cleanliness is Next to Godliness

Just switched the Dillon 550B over from 9mm to 45ACP. Also swithched the 45 powder measure from Unique to W231.

Clean your press when you change calibers and disassemble you powder measure when you change powders.

I really don't want to think of the inconsistancies if you mix different powders, even in minute amounts.

Just a heads up! This machine cleaning is just a left over of my life in the Pharma industry.

Frank

I just use a new powder measure and caliber quick change head for each caliber I shoot. It gets kind of pricey but makes switching over calibers in my Dillon XL650 a 5 minute process. If I have to switch from large to small primers or vice versa then its a 20 minute process.

Just switched the Dillon 550B over from 9mm to 45ACP. Also swithched the 45 powder measure from Unique to W231.

Clean your press when you change calibers and disassemble you powder measure when you change powders.

I really don't want to think of the inconsistancies if you mix different powders, even in minute amounts.

Just a heads up! This machine cleaning is just a left over of my life in the Pharma industry.

Frank

I turn my powder measure upside down, whack it a few times, work the action a few times, then whack a few more times to get the remaining powder out.

Good to go!

Seriously. :)

I guess if I were reloading for 1000 yard F Class competition or were loading nuclear rounds at the edge of brass and gun tolerances, I would care about a few individual specks of powder. For my purposes, 1/10th grain of a different powder doesn't affect me that much. I do have one powder dispenser for rifle and one for pistol, and I don't put pistol powders into the rifle dispenser and vice versa.

bingo. I have 3 powder measures now, granted they are lee, so dont have to spend $80 on each. :lol:

For the handgun calibers I load, it is the same powder, W231, and for rifle calibers, i use either IMR 4895, Reloader 15, or IMR 8208 across all rifle calibers I load, 223 and 308, and soon to be 7.62x54, 8mm, 7.5 swiss, and perhaps 7.7 jap.

but in any case... I use one powder in one powder measure, I dont mix them.... anymore. lol.