nott

300-1000 yard shooting, reticle choice

I am currently in the process of selecting a scope for my remington 700.

I browsed snipershide, read zak smith's intro to practical long range shooting, and so I have my mind set on quality optics (S&B, Premier, Nightforce). I am, however, overwhelmed by the wide range of available reticles.

First of all, I'd like to know what the preferences of the guys who shoot long range on this forum are. Secondly, is there a shop that deals in high-end glass that would actually allow you to look through scopes - let's say within a 2 hour drive from north jersey?

The best place I've seen to pick up and look at scopes is Gander Mountain Stores. There are a couple in NY (Binghampton/Middletown) which are not too far away and another in Scranton PA. I think they are also superior to Cabella's when it comes to guns,scopes, hunting etc.

nott, my preference is for the premier reticles ret. I also like the GAP mil scale. Here are the salient points you need to consider in my opinion.

FFP or SFP?

Milidranian scale or one of the inch variations.

Magnification

If you are interested in a custom US Optics, I can order it for you and save you a few bucks.

Im sure we have a Demo USO or 2 at the shop.

Shane

Shane,

I'm going for a Mil/Mil FFP.

The reticles I've considered are: the s&b p4 fine, premier gen 2 XR, us optics gap and mpr.

Magnification is something I am not altogether set on. I know a 3-15x scope is likely more than adequate for my purposes - after all, all of my initial shooting is going to take place at CJRPC, where we're limited to 300 yards. But is there any practical reason not to get something like a 5-25? Does the higher magnification range become a detriment at a certain point?

I appreciate your input.

I have the Gen2 XL in my S&B PM2 4x16. FFP mil/mil is the way to go for sure! I dont have any experience with any 5X25's but those that do that I chat with say they rarely go over 12, maybe 14 X for our type of shooting. Your selections are all top notch and will likely be decided on your personal preferences.

My buddies shop. Its not a retail shop, its a manufacturing shop. We work with USO and so we are technically a dealer but dont keep inventory. (Although this may change in the near furture as I ramp up a retail side of the biz). But we always seem to have a USO or 3 around for one reason or another. Im almost positive we have a 2.5X10 at the shop now, Ill check.

Shane

Nott, I zipped up to the shop on the BUSA and grabed a USO that wasny busy :) Its a 2.5X10 EREK Ergo. We did have others but they were tied up but I thought this would at least give you a sense of USO build quality and a look through their optics. Shoot me a PM of where your at. My sched is a bit spotty but Im sure we can work something out.

Shane

If money wasnt an issue i'd probably go with a high mag USO body with the Horus vision reticle...just because i think the concept is about the best out there. I just picked up a .300 Mag Rem 700P, and topped it with a Super Sniper 20X from SWFA. YES I know the "Optic should be about the same price as the gun it sits on" but that isnt always practical. For what it is (tasco) I have to say that so far i'm impressed with the quality of both the glass and the body. VERY solid construction, no plastic. I did a lot of checking on a bunch of different forums and boards and i havent heard anything bad about the Super Sniper Brand. IIRC they were originally built as a US Govt Contract, and SWFA has kept production going selling it as it's own brand. In fact i hadnt even realized it was a tasco product until i got it in hand and saw the warranty card. The ONLY Issues i have with it so far, is the instructions ar epretty Sketchy, and dont tell you AT ALL how to reset the turrets to Zero after you zero in the scope to the rifle. I'll have to figure that out on the fly. We'll see how it holds zero after the first hundred rounds of 190 Grain bullets. if it holds through THAt then i'll rezero for the 168 matchkings i plant to feed it as it's regular diet.

If money wasnt an issue i'd probably go with a high mag USO body with the Horus vision reticle...just because i think the concept is about the best out there. I just picked up a .300 Mag Rem 700P, and topped it with a Super Sniper 20X from SWFA. YES I know the "Optic should be about the same price as the gun it sits on" but that isnt always practical. For what it is (tasco) I have to say that so far i'm impressed with the quality of both the glass and the body. VERY solid construction, no plastic. I did a lot of checking on a bunch of different forums and boards and i havent heard anything bad about the Super Sniper Brand. IIRC they were originally built as a US Govt Contract, and SWFA has kept production going selling it as it's own brand. In fact i hadnt even realized it was a tasco product until i got it in hand and saw the warranty card. The ONLY Issues i have with it so far, is the instructions ar epretty Sketchy, and dont tell you AT ALL how to reset the turrets to Zero after you zero in the scope to the rifle. I'll have to figure that out on the fly. We'll see how it holds zero after the first hundred rounds of 190 Grain bullets. if it holds through THAt then i'll rezero for the 168 matchkings i plant to feed it as it's regular diet.

Not to hijack the thread, but I just bought the 10x SWFA and am wondering the same thing. I sent SWFA an email and have not received an answer back. Let me know if you figure it out and I'll let you know if I hear back from them. I agree the scope is nice for the price point. Not as nice as my Leupold, but less then 1/3 price.

It has been a really long time since I owned a SS. But im betting the cap has an allen screw on top or the side. Zero your scope. Then unscew the allen bolt and align the lines with zero. Tighten back down. Be carful to not knock it off setting when pulling the cap. Also I think there is an O ring in the cap. Take care not to pinch it out of place.

Shane

It has been a really long time since I owned a SS. But im betting the cap has an allen screw on top or the side. Zero your scope. Then unscew the allen bolt and align the lines with zero. Tighten back down. Be carful to not knock it off setting when pulling the cap. Also I think there is an O ring in the cap. Take care not to pinch it out of place.

Shane

Shane,

The turrets have 3 allen screws in them the problem is the turret doesn't go all the way down. There is no zero stop, so you can spin the turret too far down and be below zero if that makes any sense.

We use USO SN3's with the PCMOA reticle. My spotter Phil designed the reticle and John made it up for us. It is a MOA based reticle, There is no reason to have a Mil reticle in todays day and age. We are not calling in Artillery.

Why bother with a conversion if you do not have to.

I also have a Horus Scope and it is very nice for target, But gets too busy if you are trying to track a target. IMHO.

I have a SWFA SS 10X with side parallax on a AR10 and for the money it is a good scope, But it is in mil and I have to use my Mil dot master when Playing with it. I would go with the SS over the 700-800 Loopy scope too.

USO or S&B would be my first choice, But be ready to spend 3k.

Kal, what calc are you using for your ret, / by 100 or / by 95.5? Ive heard enough people come back and say that their USO's with PCMOA ret's seemd to be really SMOA. THIS is one of the reasons I prefer mil/mil. The lack of uniformity in the optics world on an inch.

What conversion are you refering to? I dont convert anything???

Horus=Busy. Agreed :)

I will find out. He has to dig out the drawings, I think it was all based on 100.

Since that is how we see things, A stop sign is x amount of inches, A car tire is x amount of inches,

I do not see things in 1.047 inches or 3.6 inches at a time. Does this make sense.

We are no experts at all but it has helped me shoot better in the competitions of unknown distance and unknown size targets. No range finders.

It is also the first one he has ever made so you have to start somewhere.

If we ever meet up to check out your SRS He can bring you a copy of the drawings and how it was designed to work. But I will find out the scale in the meantime.

I just wont do it! I have passed on several fine scopes at great prices because I wont buy a scope with unmatched ret/knobs.

I have an SN3 1.8X10 I just mounted up on my .260 gas gun yesturday. It has the PCMOA ret and Im probably going to mind F myself by playing with it :shock: :?

What I want to research and better understand is if the 1 vs 1.047 leads to error at greater distance with a PCMOA ret. Not a problem on the Milidranian side of the fence.

get_image.php?uid=RET-051

I was supposed to have this scope back to the shop this week for a project but since it was an Ergo, it couldnt be used for the test. :twisted: . So when a buddy called me last night and said lets hit the range in the early am it was on! I only had 13 rounds of ammo for it. Used a few to zero and shot a group at 200. Then I switched over to a clean target at 300 at let the remaining 4 fly. I LOVE this 260! It printed a sub 2.5 inch group at 300 yds. If I had stopped at 3 it would have been 1.25. Scope and rifle performed very well.

Shane

I was supposed to have this scope back to the shop this week for a project but since it was an Ergo, it couldnt be used for the test. :twisted: . So when a buddy called me last night and said lets hit the range in the early am it was on! I only had 13 rounds of ammo for it. Used a few to zero and shot a group at 200. Then I switched over to a clean target at 300 at let the remaining 4 fly. I LOVE this 260! It printed a sub 2.5 inch group at 300 yds. If I had stopped at 3 it would have been 1.25. Scope and rifle performed very well.

Shane

CJRPC is having a 300 yard prone anyrifle/any sights fun match on the 18th Shane...your stick would probably do well.