Sign in to follow this  
bbk

Anybody else see Inception?

Inception is the new Christopher Nolan endeavor with DiCaprio, Gordan-Levitt, and a slew of other big names. The advertising has been everywhere leading up to its release.

I saw it this afternoon, pretty good crowd considering-- and also not bad considering it was in an IMAX theater (higher ticket prices).

I wouldn't say that having to watch it in IMAX is necessary (and it was not filmed in 3D, so, it obv won't be available in 3D). The visuals are pretty amazing, but its not a game changer. I remember watching Avatar and Iron Man 2 in IMAX3D and IMAX, respectively, and then watching them normally-- and it was a bit of a let down the second time. So, treat yourself, otherwise, its all good.

I'm not going to spoil anything considering its only been out for a day or so. Do I think it was everything it was hyped up to be? (Its impact being compared to the Matrix trilogy.) I wouldn't say that it was quite that epic or mind-blowing. Inception is a crazy smart/clever/brain-ninja movie though-- and I don't expect anybody who doesn't have a PSY101 basis to really understand whats going on-- though, if you do, the story isn't all that hard to follow. (Not quite a spoiler, but the ending is pretty wild, and after the dust settles-- it kind of makes you look back on the entire movie in a different perspective.)

As for the firearms, as this is a firearms forum, there were some interesting selections (both by the crew and the "subconscious militarized defense forces" ;) ). Seemed like the pistol of choice for Cobb (DiCaprio) was the Beretta Px4 Storm Special Duty ("SD" because it has a threaded barrel), which got a lot of air time. Otherwise, nothing really unique... just the usual USPs, Glocks, M4s, HK-type rifles, etc.

I saw Inception at an IMAX, and I felt that the film could have benefited from subtler direction. While the script is certainly clever, it simply didn't translate into a truly engaging, moving experience. The visuals are sterile, the chemistry between DiCaprio's and Cotillard's characters is unconvincing at best, the symbolism is heavy-handed, the loud soundtrack almost insulting in its droning repetitiveness.

Regrettably, Nolan chose not to delve too much into the underlying theme of what comprises and defines our reality and ourselves within it, trading this potentially far more rewarding subject for a bunch of firefights, one of which looked like something taken straight out of a Modern Warfare game. He then proceeds to drive the plot toward a predictable and disappointing twist at the end of the movie.

I can't help but wonder what someone like Gondry could have done with the material.

Inception is the new Christopher Nolan endeavor with DiCaprio, Gordan-Levitt, and a slew of other big names. The advertising has been everywhere leading up to its release.

I saw it this afternoon, pretty good crowd considering-- and also not bad considering it was in an IMAX theater (higher ticket prices).

I wouldn't say that having to watch it in IMAX is necessary (and it was not filmed in 3D, so, it obv won't be available in 3D). The visuals are pretty amazing, but its not a game changer. I remember watching Avatar and Iron Man 2 in IMAX3D and IMAX, respectively, and then watching them normally-- and it was a bit of a let down the second time. So, treat yourself, otherwise, its all good.

I'm not going to spoil anything considering its only been out for a day or so. Do I think it was everything it was hyped up to be? (Its impact being compared to the Matrix trilogy.) I wouldn't say that it was quite that epic or mind-blowing. Inception is a crazy smart/clever/brain-ninja movie though-- and I don't expect anybody who doesn't have a PSY101 basis to really understand whats going on-- though, if you do, the story isn't all that hard to follow. (Not quite a spoiler, but the ending is pretty wild, and after the dust settles-- it kind of makes you look back on the entire movie in a different perspective.)

As for the firearms, as this is a firearms forum, there were some interesting selections (both by the crew and the "subconscious militarized defense forces" ;) ). Seemed like the pistol of choice for Cobb (DiCaprio) was the Beretta Px4 Storm Special Duty ("SD" because it has a threaded barrel), which got a lot of air time. Otherwise, nothing really unique... just the usual USPs, Glocks, M4s, HK-type rifles, etc.

One Phrase: "FN SCAR" <<

I agree with you, nott. I'm not versed in movie critique, so, I won't pretend to be :D:p , however you pretty much summed it up.

The music score definitely did not do it justice. Maybe its a Christopher Nolan thing to go with the simplistic, heavy note stuff? (Similar to Dark Knight) Or maybe its a Hollywood thing right now. Either way, I don't know if it didn't fit with the movie, or if it just wasn't enough? Felt off regardless.

As for exploring the intricacies of subconsciousness and reality, the lack of exploration is the reason why I didn't think the movie was all too epic. It was interesting, as noted, but Nolan could have definitely done more instead of the gun fights (though, the fight scene with Gordan-Levitt and "gravity" was pretty darn cool). I definitely understand what you mean in regards to the MW2 gun fight scene, and, while kind of bad ass (and cheesy), it detracted from what was going on in regards to the exploration of the main theme.

The ending-ending was definitely not all that great... and could it be considered a twist if you expect it? ;)

A lot of open ended questions and lack of explanations-- too many to really call this a legit Science Fiction movie IMO. Space opera? Yea. Action movie with unique moments? Maybe more so, which is definitely a bit disappointing. For entertainment purposes though, its a fun movie-- and probably the best this summer has to offer [yet].