Hi.........I'm a newbie.Iv'e researched the nj gun ownership laws some time ago & don't know if they have changed since then.....It's my understanding that Nj law requires you to obtain a permit to buy a gun, but a permit to own a gun in nj is not required. In other words, if your Father passed on a gun to you (not sold to you), a permit is NOT required.

Do I understand the NJ law correctly? :?:

Hi.........I'm a newbie.Iv'e researched the nj gun ownership laws some time ago & don't know if they have changed since then.....It's my understanding that Nj law requires you to obtain a permit to buy a gun, but a permit to own a gun in nj is not required. In other words, if your Father passed on a gun to you (not sold to you), a permit is NOT required.

Do I understand the NJ law correctly? :?:

Hi, welcome.

If you inherit a gun, specifically named in a will to you, it becomes your gun, no paperwork is required. The caveat is that if you are ineligible to own firearms, you must dispose of it within 180 days. If you are a felon, mentally unstable, etc, and would be unable to obtain a firearms purchaser ID, you could be ineligible.

If for example, your father dies and your mother gives you a gun "because your dad wanted you to have it" but it was not specified in a will, that would constitute an illegal transfer from your mother to you.

There is no inheriting of firearms before death.

There is no permit to own guns, only permits to purchase them . A firearms Purchaser ID is for the purchase of long guns, a pistol permit is for the rest.

If you want to purchase handgun ammo or any ammo that can be used in a handgun (.22LR for example) in NJ you do need to have a Firearms ID Card.

Just to clarify: If you want to buy "handgun" ammo from a retailer located *IN* the state of NJ, you'll need a Firearms Purchaser ID (FPID) card.

To purchase any type of ammo from a retailer located *OUTSIDE* of NJ and have it shipped into NJ, or transport into NJ yourself, you'll likely need nothing more than a credit card or cash.