flyingcowofdoom

Classic Pistol in PA (25 minutes from Trenton)

Went to Classic Pistol for the first time this past Sunday afternoon. They are a great facility with a large, well-stocked store and a 12 port indoor 25 yard range. We arrived at about 3pm and it was not crowded; we didn't have to wait at all. The prices are $15/hour for one shooter and an extra $9 for each additional shooter. Not the best price but not unreasonable either. Everyone was very friendly, I talked to one of the guys about shotguns and besides the teasing (at which I chuckled) I received for living in NJ ("Actually, I don't think I have a shotty I can sell you. Maybe you should move to PA :laugh:") he was very helpful. They also rent a large selection of handguns, a few of rifles (including full-auto), and a Mossberg 500. I don't know what the rental rates are, as I brought my own gun.

If you live in the Trenton/Princeton/Hopewell area it might be the closest range to you, and I recommend it.

--FCOD

Just got back from Classic Pistol and thought I'd share my experience.

I went with my buddy and his wife, and none of us had ever been to an indoor range before. Heck, none of us had ever fired a handgun before. We got there a little after noon, and it was pretty crowded (at least a dozen customers in the store, and most of the lanes in use). Despite the crowd, the staff was friendly and efficient and we didn't have to wait more than a couple minutes for help. We filled out the paperwork required to rent a gun, picked out a Sig P250 in 9mm, got targets, hearing and eye protection, and were in a lane in about 10 min. I'm sure if I had mentioned that we had never done this before, they would have spent some time explaining the proper protocols and techniques, but they were busy and I didn't want to look like an idiot, so we figured it out on our own. Luckily, in preparation for my first range visit, I had watched

and felt I had a decent handle on what to do and what not to do.

I was warned by a friend that many indoor ranges don't have adequate ventilation systems and get pretty smokey, but this was not the case at CP. The air was clear and you could barely smell the gun smoke. It was also clean and well-lit. The Sig we rented was clean and in good working order with only one failure to feed in 150 rounds. Pricing was very reasonable - a gun rental, three boxes of 9mm, about 15 targets, hearing/eye protection for three people and about 1.5hrs of lane time came to less than $100. We had a good time and we plan to make a regular thing of it.

If you're in Hunterdon or Mercer county, Classic Pistol is probably the closest public range and it's well worth the drive into PA.