Well, I have to change the address on my FID card. Called the local PD in my new town, spoke to the officer that handles it. He sounded helpful. I have an appointment for Monday morning to submit the paperwork and "fill out some other forms." He did say that he'd just call up to my old town and get my file, so maybe it won't be like applying again? He didn't ask me to fill out the mental health background authorization forms.

Anyone else change the address on their card? Did it take as long as applying the first time? I read horror stories that it's the exact same process, but the way the guy I spoke to talked I got the feeling it would be faster.

--FCOD

It is the exact same process as an initial. Actually it was more complicated than last time.

Getting the file doesn't help either, I moved across town and that did not help.

Make sure you check up a week or two later to make sure your references came back. The PD won't call you if something is missing or not filled out to their specs.

I moved across town and it took 6 weeks. I didn't have to get re-fingerprinted since they had done that in the first place. My card was also a replacement for a missing card (that was NOT confiscated by a police officer in town because, "WE DO NOT DO THAT HERE!") none-the-less, I had to get a replacement card.

I moved across town and it took 6 weeks. I didn't have to get re-fingerprinted since they had done that in the first place. My card was also a replacement for a missing card (that was NOT confiscated by a police officer in town because, "WE DO NOT DO THAT HERE!") none-the-less, I had to get a replacement card.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.. My NEW town didn't take my old card either. I was pleasantly surprised that they are on the up and up. They also didn't send letters to my references, (I've been using the same references since I got my initial FID). I guess my gun buying history was recent enough for them :-P

What's with the "mental background" form? I've never heard of that till now. Though I see on the app for a FOID/Permit app, it asks whether I have been treated for a mental problem (no), I never saw any form for that.

Consent For Mental Health Records Search (SP-66)

What exactly are they looking for when they do the mental health search? Is it defined in a statute somehwere what they can deny you for? I was once in hospital for anxiety. I was never prescribed, nor have I ever taken any medicine for it. I surely hope something like that wouldn't get me denied my permit. Im days away from submitting my app.

Can anyone chime in on this?

See an attorney

I was always under the assumption that the mental health disclosure form was to see if you have ever been admitted into a mental health facility, and from there they would request your file. If you were admitted to a regular hospital for say a panic attack, i don't think they can request the file, since they have no way to know what the file says until they get it, i don't think they can request the file since it would also include information that is not disclosed by you, and it would breach doc-patient confidentiality.

I'm no lawyer, so i would check into it.

Could you comment on what exactly you mean by anxiety? that could be mean one of many things.

Just a note: A couple years ago i saw a psychiatrist for anxiety, was put on medication for a month, and then was taken off it due to panic attack. I was going through a difficult time and persevered, and have not had any incidents since. There was no issue there when applying.

I always wondered how exactly the figured out you mental health history, i mean they just throw your name at all the hospitals in the country and expect a response?