Wavecaster

Shot my first AR

On vacation in myrtle beach, south carolina and we took a bit of a family trip to one of the local ranges. they only let us rent .22's but they had some rifles converted to 22. we rented a .22 AR. The damn circle rear sight was a lot smaller than i thought it would be but it was great fun. my eye protection kept fogging up cause it was damn hot in there and the rear stock kept knocking off my shitty rented ear protection so i could have done better but it was still fun and thats what counts right?

heres a pic of my target. bottom right is closest, bottom left is close, middle is medium, top right was far, top left was farthest. i didnt actually measure how far it was or pay attention to the markings of how far each spot was lol. but the farthest i think was 25 yards. also for the record i shot 10 shots at each cirlce bought a box of 50 rounds. how only 6 hit the middle target idk but that was as my glasses started to really fog up and right before i realized i could use my fingers to try to wipe up a tiny bit of the fog so im using that as my excuse.. :D

targets.jpg

Not to rain on your parade, but I have to agree with the others. There is little comparison between a .22 and a 5.56 beyond bullet diameter. You must shoot the real thing to really feel it, but you can just use that as further incentive.

And as far as your patterns at 25 yards or less...well, even with a .22.... :facepalm:

:D

On vacation in myrtle beach, south carolina and we took a bit of a family trip to one of the local ranges. they only let us rent .22's but they had some rifles converted to 22. we rented a .22 AR. The damn circle rear sight was a lot smaller than i thought it would be but it was great fun. my eye protection kept fogging up cause it was damn hot in there and the rear stock kept knocking off my shitty rented ear protection so i could have done better but it was still fun and thats what counts right?

heres a pic of my target. bottom right is closest, bottom left is close, middle is medium, top right was far, top left was farthest. i didnt actually measure how far it was or pay attention to the markings of how far each spot was lol. but the farthest i think was 25 yards. also for the record i shot 10 shots at each cirlce bought a box of 50 rounds. how only 6 hit the middle target idk but that was as my glasses started to really fog up and right before i realized i could use my fingers to try to wipe up a tiny bit of the fog so im using that as my excuse.. :D

Welcome to the sickness. It starts with .22 and grows! Don't let them get you down. The important thing is you enjoyed yourself. Practice makes perfect. Shooting an AR with a .22 upper is great for learning on. You can become familiar with the weapon and not spend a fortune on ammo.

Yea even for a .22, looks like you need some more control.

If it was an AR with a conversion kit like CMMG, those are usually not too accurate. The quick twist of most AR barrels (1:7, 1:8, etc) puts too much spin on those light 22LR rounds and degrades accuracy. The dedicated 22LR ARs all have a more appropriate slower twist rate (about 1:12, I think).

.22 only? Weak :)

Now try the real thing :)

lol id love to but they didn't rent out anything other than 22 and its better than nothing.

Yea even for a .22, looks like you need some more control.

and yes yes i know but it was my second time pulling a trigger, first on a rifle of any kind so it was more about fun than skill. went to another place the day after and rented a 9mm, a ruger sr9, one of the ones i wanted to try out before i get my FID and PPs so that worked out nicely actually, anyway that target looked much better but im a hardcore noob at holding a rifle at my shoulder

Just a question. You said the rear sight was really small. Was it on night site? Usually you can flip it.

and that is a good question. i have no idea though and i probably wont find out because i was only on vacation lol probably never gonna see that range ever again