deviated rationality

Need some advice on a few rifles

I would take an ACR over any LWRC any day of the week!

Could you elaborate a little? I've read reports of both having issues, but, given that the LWRC have been around quite a bit longer, I would imagine it's a more squared away stystem

I have typed this several times and erased it. Too much to say and none of it I want to say on a public forum so Ill leave it at, next time in person, ask me about LWRC, the company. From a technical perspective, Im not a fan of Piston AR's to begin with and really would only even try an LMT or MAYBE the HK. At any rate I have seen a NUMBER of seriously f'ed up LWRC rifles. The whole REPR mag thing, another indication into that company's corner cutting habbits. Id only play with a piston AR to play with it. I much prefer rifles designed as piston rifles. In short one can observe that something designed to be run on gas may not fare so well when its hit with a hammer instead. There is a reason the lugs on AK's, XCR's, FAL,s are LARGE!

I think the argument that Shane pointed out, and I along with many others, that a rifle built around the piston design-- and not a rifle with a piston design forced into it-- is what turns us off tremendously from AR-variants that utilize the piston system. I don't mean for this to be anything of a thread jack, but instead to point out why I, and maybe some others, think you should steer clear of AR's that utilize a piston system simply for the sake of utilizing them. If you want a piston rifle, get any of those rifles that Shane pointed out. If you want an AR, get a tried and true (and urban-legend debunked) DI rifle.

Though, ultimately, your choice :icon_e_wink:

I think the Savages are certainly as reliable and accurate as a Rem 700. The one difference will be aftermarket parts availability. There are a lot of option for parts for certain models from Savage, and less for others. That being said, if you want to drink a different color Kool-aid, buy a Savage! :icon_e_biggrin:

I am very happy with my Savage. Check out this site (there are others too) for your Savage rifle needs. The aftermarket is not as big as the one for a Remington 700, but it's there and growing.

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

As for Wylde barrels, they can be reamed to accept 5.56.

?????????????

The Wylde chamber is compatible with both the 5.56 NATO round as well as the .223 as is. No reaming needed.

From RRA's website...

The .223 Wylde chamber was designed as a match chambering for semi-automatic rifles. It will accomodate both .223 Rem and 5.56mm NATO ammunition. It is relieved in the case body to aid in extraction and features a shorter throat for improved accuracy.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

It can accommodate both .223 and 5.56, yes, but because the chamber is tighter and the overpressure of firing 5.56 in .223, it can cause catastrophic malfunctions (not that it will). Generally speaking, it seems most manufacturers don't have issues, notably WOA (but of course not all manufacturers are equal). However, it can cause casings to get stuck in the chamber, or even pop the primers out.

So, some that have a wylde barrel do end up reaming the chamber (and there are plenty of smiths who offer this service).

ETA: I wasn't trying to make a blanket statement initially-- just a forewarning for those who are chambered or were thinking of being chambered in .223.