Sign in to follow this  
savageshooter

Flying with handgun in the hold

Anyone ever fly into New Jersey with a handgun in the hold? I've been doing research for a couple of days, and it seems that many people do this without a problem. I'll be flying down to Orlando, Florida in 2 weeks (through A.C.). One of the things I'll be doing down there is taking possession of my Father's service revolver. He was with the NYPD and died last year. The reading I've been doing, including the NRA information, says that I need to declare the gun at the counter and the TSA officer will step in and make sure that the gun is secure, tag it and I'll be on my way.

The issue I'm concerned with is lack of documentation (outside of my FPID card) for the gun. I am his legal heir, so no permit is required. He didn't have a will and his wife is distributing his possessions. I have one permit left that will expire on 9/16. My return flight is 9/11. Should I wimp out and do a transfer with my permit, I'll be cutting it close.

So, if anyone here has had any experience flying with a gun please let me know.

I flew with a handgun from Newark airport to Las Vegas. I declared the gun with my checked luggage--they had me sign a declaration tag, then they put it through the x-ray (to ensure it was unloaded I assume), then I was on my way. You may be expected to open your locked case to show that the firearm is unloaded. Do NOT use a TSA lock on the firearm container; use either a combination lock or keyed lock.

TSA did not ask me about licensing or registration; it's not within their authority to do so. However, Port Authority Police have overstepped their bounds in the past (as in the case of Greg Revell). I don't know if TSA checks luggage coming out of planes after they've arrived. I do know that when I arrived at both Las Vegas and Newark airports, all I had to do was retrieve my luggage bag from the conveyor and I was on my way.

I have flown a lot with both long guns and hand guns. Nobody has ever asked for a pistol permit or FPID. It is not needed as long as it is legal for you to possess at your departure and destination. The pistol does have to be in a hard sided case (preferably placed in your suitcase) with non-TSA locks. You have to be the sole possessor of the keys/combination. TSA never touches any guns. You get a form at the airline check-in counter that states that the gun is unloaded that you have to sign. You then go to a TSA person that witnesses you place the signed form in your locking case and then you hand your bag containing the gun to the TSA for baggage screening. Your ammo can be in a separate container in the same luggage.

I am his legal heir, so no permit is required...He didn't have a will and his wife is distributing his possessions...
AFAIK, your dad's wife is the legal heir and owner if there was no will. Have the gun shipped to a NJ dealer to transfer to you.

I am his legal heir, so no permit is required...He didn't have a will and his wife is distributing his possessions...
AFAIK, your dad's wife is the legal heir and owner if there was no will. Have the gun shipped to a NJ dealer to transfer to you.

Ditto, it is a violation of federal law to transfer a firearm between two residents of different states. At a minimum she will need to ship the weapon to an FFL in the state of NJ who will need to transfer the weapon to you... Any other way you slice it you will be violating both federal and state law...

Excellent responses, thanks all.

I've been looking a definitions and laws for the past two days, and "heir" has been the most difficult to identify . There is a term called "Intestacy" when there's no will that I came across.

Of course for obvious reasons I want to stay within the bounds of the law, and not take any chances at all. To be safe and lawful, I'll use my last permit for this transfer.

Sometimes we need to bounce stuff around to come up with the right answer, which is what I did with this post. And, I've been talking to dealers and people familiar with flying w/handgun in hold for the past few days. The way I'm taking possession is the area that got most of them confused.

Again, all excellent responses. Thanks for taking the time.

No time to drive.

Leaving Wednesday and going the FFL transfer route. Yeah, it sucks but I'm not taking any chances. Did enough research and came to the conclusion that either mailing it to myself, or having it put in the hold will violate the laws in NJ and FL as well as Federal laws. Hey, I'm a law abiding citizen, and acquiring 4 handguns this year isn't too shabby ;)

I need a few months to save for my next HG purchase anyway, which will be something from the Colt 1911 family. I already have my P2P paperwork done and will drop it off with the Police before I leave. Putting in for 5 permits which should be enough to get me through to spring of next year.