FlyersFan

Heritage Mfg .22LR/.22 Magnum Revolver

Hey guys. Does anyone have any experience with firearms made by Heritage Manufacturing (http://heritagemfg.com)? I was thinking about purchasing one of their Rough Rider .22LR/.22 Magnum revolvers, but wanted to gather some info before ordering one. (I've been wanting a revolver, but I want something I can take to the range and have fun with without spending a ton of money on ammo.) Any other suggestions about good choices for .22LR/.22 Magnum revolvers would be great too! Thanks! :)

Have not heard of the Heritage, but I have been pleased with my Ruger Super Single Six which has the extra cylinder for .22 Mag. It's reliable and rugged.

If you mean a revolver that can shoot BOTH 22mag and 22LR, S&W doesn't make one. That does sound cool.

They don't offer a conversion model. Back in the 80's my cousin had a S&W 651 J-frame .22 Mag. He shipped the gun back to S&W and had them install and time a .22 LR cylinder for the gun, effectively making it an M63. Price then was around $125 for the work, roughly half the price of the revolver then. I imagine they can still perform this work.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I'd never even heard of Heritage Mfg. before I was browsing through GunBroker the other day. Yeah, I'm definitely looking for one that shoots both .22LR and .22 Magnum, which is why I was drawn to the Heritage Rough Rider. You certainly can't beat the price for about $175. The Ruger Single Six also looks like a really nice option, but it looks like they're about $400 new. Maybe I can shop around and find a used one for less! I also noticed that Taurus makes a revolver that will shoot .22 LR and .22 Magnum, so I might check that out too.

Hey guys. Does anyone have any experience with firearms made by Heritage Manufacturing (<!-- m -->http://heritagemfg.com<!-- m -->)? I was thinking about purchasing one of their Rough Rider .22LR/.22 Magnum revolvers, but wanted to gather some info before ordering one. (I've been wanting a revolver, but I want something I can take to the range and have fun with without spending a ton of money on ammo.) Any other suggestions about good choices for .22LR/.22 Magnum revolvers would be great too! Thanks! :)

I know this post is a bit old... but I just wanted to say that as an NRA Instructer, the .22 Heritage is what I use to train people on pistol for the first time. I highly recommend it to them as a first pistol because it also comes with the .22 Mag Cylinder, which I consider respectable for personal defense. So for $200 they get both a target gun and a personal defense gun.

My preferred carry is an NAA mini-revolver with the larger boot grips. I carry it with .22mag. It is lighter then my keys and I am accurate enough at 21 feet.

They are up to $400 now? Hmm, when I bought mine new it was less than $180 at the time. Come to think of it, that was a long time ago too.

Keep shopping around. I paid $200 for mine back in May 2010. You should be able to get it for as low as $180.

...because it also comes with the .22 Mag Cylinder, which I consider respectable for personal defense.

My preferred carry is an NAA mini-revolver with the larger boot grips. I carry it with .22mag. It is lighter then my keys and I am accurate enough at 21 feet.

Not that I'd want to stand in front of you and let you shoot me with it, and you're welcome to carry whatever you want, but I think it's irresponsible of you to "recommend" to those people that come to you, the .22 Magnum as a defensive round. Certainly better than nothing - but not much. Not to mention that this is a single action revolver - not something usually carried for SD.

In my opinion, in a pistol the minimum acceptable defensive caliber is .380 ACP (9mm kurz) and only then with modern SD ammo. In a revolver the .327 Magnum has my attention, and the on-paper ballistics are very impressive. It will be interesting to see dynamic results. Other than that, the minimum acceptable revolver round would be the tried & true .38 Spl - again with modern SD ammo.

Yes, I realize the deterrent factor of having a gun, any gun, pointed at you. And yes, I realize that shot placement is more important than caliber. But you shoot some people with a .22 Mag and all you're going to do is pi$$ them off - and then the real damage begins. A defensive round is one that will end the threat, not exacerbate it.

JMHO / YMMV

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Not that I'd want to stand in front of you and let you shoot me with it, and you're welcome to carry whatever you want, but I think it's irresponsible of you to "recommend" to those people that come to you, the .22 Magnum as a defensive round. Certainly better than nothing - but not much. Not to mention that this is a single action revolver - not something usually carried for SD.

In my opinion, in a pistol the minimum acceptable defensive caliber is .380 ACP (9mm kurz) and only then with modern SD ammo. In a revolver the .327 Magnum has my attention, and the on-paper ballistics are very impressive. It will be interesting to see dynamic results. Other than that, the minimum acceptable revolver round would be the tried & true .38 Spl - again with modern SD ammo.

Yes, I realize the deterrent factor of having a gun, any gun, pointed at you. And yes, I realize that shot placement is more important than caliber. But you shoot some people with a .22 Mag and all you're going to do is pi$$ them off - and then the real damage begins. A defensive round is one that will end the threat, not exacerbate it.

JMHO / YMMV

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I know its just an opinion... but I have done a lot of testing with the .22mag into various media. I think the penetration is adequate. It is not something I would use if I was working in any security related job... but it is something I can wear all day everyday while splitting logs, watering my garden, watching TV, preparing a BBQ... I think this is an important consideration. Before I got my .22 mini-mag, I carried my .38spl about 20% of the time. I still carry it 20% of the time, but I am carrying the mini-revolver the other 80%.

As far as recommending a .22 mag or .22RL for self defense... I asked the question of my Training Counselor when I became certified to teach Personal Protection in the Home. His position is absolutely yes. Especially if that is what you are most competent with. 6 shots on target with a .22LR is more effective then 6 missed shots with a .357. Just to be clear, the point of my reply is less to argue the effectiveness of a .22LR or Mag... and more to point out that I was not just making up my own answers, but drawing from very experienced sources.

It also happens that one on my neighbors was over my Range on Saturday to request training on his .22LR/.22Mag single action Ruger that he bought back in 1972. He had it all these years as his personal home defense gun. He also wanted to know why he could not hit anything more then 10 feet away. It was just a matter of adjusting his grips and his was inside an 8 inch circle at 50 feet every time. Should I have turned him away? Its the only gun he has. Should I have said go save up some money and come back with a 9mm, sleep with a baseball bat next to your bed until then? No, it does not make sense to me. What makes sense, is use what you have and get good with it.

Interestingly enough... before I moved to PA, my primary home defense firearm was a model 1858 black powder revolver.44 cal. It was the only thing I could easily access in NY. My Training Counselor also informed me that he once had a student that came to one of his Personal Protection in the Home classes with a Black Powder Revolver for the same reason. I have to work within people's physical, financial and legal limitations.