lunker

What caliber for a Saiga conversion?

Ha Ha. I liked it Pete, but I thought it would be useful to have a rifle in a caliber that every store carries. 7.62 is close, but I already have the VEPR in that. As for 223 being a varmint round :), well...

Shane posted a nice link about the effects of 223 on humans. Warning, it is **graphic**

http://www.timawa.net/forum/index.php?topic=17111.0

The Saiga is probably the only gun I sort of regret buying. It was an impulse thing that I didn't really think out well, and had I spent a little more time thinking about it, I would've realized that 5.45 really serves no purpose for ME and probably would have come to the same conclusion you did. After a while, you start to ignore the "varmint" comments :)

The Saiga is probably the only gun I sort of regret buying. It was an impulse thing that I didn't really think out well, and had I spent a little more time thinking about it, I would've realized that 5.45 really serves no purpose for ME and probably would have come to the same conclusion you did. After a while, you start to ignore the "varmint" comments :)

I was undecided until the last minute which to get. They all have their pluses. I don't have any other guns in 223 or 5.45. Both my PAP and my VEPR in 7.62 chewed the heck out of brass (although my SKS leaves the brass just fine). It seems to be a known issue with these guns . Some people fashion plastic guards near the ejection port so the brass doesn't get dented on the way out. That has stopped me from reloading in 7.62x39. Seeing as how these AKs and SKS' can digest anything you put through them, I figure I can skip that hassle and just buy cheap ammo. Nowadays, cheap 223 ammo is everywhere.