joshg138

Help choosing an AK

using dental floss to kind of hold it in place makes it way easier!

did not watch the whole video but pretty sure this explains it

Thanks. That is exactly the video I used. It was still a pain in the a**. :)

Here are a few pics of my Saiga conversion. I think it came out well and, in my opinion, the Tapco trigger is excellent. This is a great, handy rifle (albeit in a varmint caliber :)).

If When I do a Saiga 7.62 conversion, I will throw on some nicer furniture on that one.

Saiga223001.jpg

Saiga223002.jpg

• Like 1

Both of them great choices, you just to be carefull with the Bulgy cause is a single stack and some single mags dont work. Now-days is a buyers market!!!

I am thinking to order the polish one but i dont like that it has us receiver(non-chrome) but i am still thinking about it

I'm in the market for an AK now, as I have gone through two PAPs (love them just keep finding good reasons to get rid of them)...

I found a Polish and also Bulgarian on Centerfire systems, I think they'd require gunsmithing to make NJ compliant but that's not a problem I found a guy...

What do you think?

Polish : http://www.centerfiresystems.com/akagun-pol.aspx

I like this one a lot, if it had that bright orange I've come to know and love I would have made the decision, I like that and I'm of Polish descent so that makes me want one a little more.

and I heard Bulgarians are great. http://www.centerfiresystems.com/akagunssr85c-01.aspx

Bulgarian looks great, terrible stock.

WOuld love an Arsenal, expensive though, and am still leaning towards a $350 Saiga and just slowly working on it.

Recievers were never chromed... just barrels. And chrome lining sounds nice and all but if you manage to wear out an AK barrel without chrome in semi auto, I'll buy you a new one. Its not needed at all. US recievers are usually as good as non-us ones, if not better. The ATM milled recievers used in the polish builds are of high quality.

When I started this thread, I never thought I'd get so many responses. I'm a complete AK noob, so thanks for all your help and input. I checked out a PAP last night, and loved how it shot, but it just didn't fit me right. In the back of my mind I still like the idea of a Saiga and converting it myself, but I want to be able to use standard mags.

I found some Mak 90's being offered

http://www.ak47world.com/rifles.html was a great resource (thanks intercooler).

At this point, I think I'm going to pull the trigger and get a Mak 90. Everyone seems to agree that they're of pretty high quality, and they're in my price range.

Intercooler: one of the guys selling a Mak 90 on gunbroker is also selling 2 others at AuctionArms. I think I'm going to bid on one of those (they're about $100 cheaper).

When I started this thread, I never thought I'd get so many responses. I'm a complete AK noob, so thanks for all your help and input. I checked out a PAP last night, and loved how it shot, but it just didn't fit me right. In the back of my mind I still like the idea of a Saiga and converting it myself, but I want to be able to use standard mags.

At this point, I think I'm going to pull the trigger and get a Mak 90. Everyone seems to agree that they're of pretty high quality, and they're in my price range.

Intercooler: one of the guys selling a Mak 90 on gunbroker is also selling 2 others at AuctionArms. I think I'm going to bid on one of those (they're about $100 cheaper).

Intercooler, just a thought...

The Saigas can take regular mags. You just need to install a bullet guide underneath the mouth of the barrel. Add an hour (much less if you have a press drill) to the regular conversion process, and your Saiga will handle regular mags no problem. Enjoy the mak90 if that's how you go.

A Saiga can easily be made to accept actual steel AK magazines.. but in a state where you are limited to 15 round magazines, it is kind of a moot point unless you already own other rifles that take that steel AK mag.. but as said good luck with whatever route you take.. post up pics when you get it!