joshg138

Help choosing an AK

I'm looking to make my first AK purchase, but I'm also on a budget. I was thinking about going through Atlantic Firearms in Delaware.

How do these 2 look? They both seem to be NJ legal to me, but I'm not really sure which one is the better choice:

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct854.aspx

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct752.aspx

FYI, I'm leaning towards the first one (Century Arms)

by just skimming the link it looks like they come with 30 round magazines which would be an instant deal breaker. I shoot a Saiga and have been happy with it, but if you buy one of them you would have to "restore" it the original AK configuration, because the guns are assembled in Russia with a "sporting configuration" (likely to make importation easier?). Restoring them is fun and not very hard, you can get them on gun broker all day.

they come like this.

saiga_545-16.jpg

but can easily converted to a more standard AK type rifle. the one other upside is you get to pick everything, and when you are done you will know the gun inside and out.

if you feel that is too much work for you there are plenty of NJ legal AK variants out there. kind of like what you pictured but you have to watch the magazine capacity as we are limited to 15 rounds.

good luck

What I would do is tell them to not bother sending the 30 round mags and then pick up some NJ legal ones elsewhere. The Saiga seems like a pretty decent route. How is the conversion to the standard AK config? I'm no gunsmith

It was the first rifle I ever owned. It was the first gun I ever worked on. and I did everything myself based on what I found online. I really love owning a true Russian AK. It is equipped with a red dot and I can rapidly hit man sized targets at 100 yards all day without issue. I have no regrets on that gun, maybe I'll post up some pictures of my build later. If you have any questions about the Saiga restoration I would have no problems answering any questions I can for you.

I dont honestly know much about the IO AKs, a quick google search didnt yield any horrible reviews so I'de say fit and function of both are probably similar. As stated, the IO has dimples which is a plus. The retarded furniture is a minus but can be changed.

Both cant have mags, and both need muzzle brakes tack welded on and bayonet lugs removed or welded up.

Have you looked into the bulgarian '74s that centerfire and JGsales has cheap?

Both cant have mags, and both need muzzle brakes tack welded on and bayonet lugs removed or welded up.

Have you looked into the bulgarian '74s that centerfire and JGsales has cheap?

not sure on the second one but the first one looks like a go besides the magazines.

The rifle has no bayonet lug

The rifle has no flash hider and the slant brake is welded on

they are selling it as NY compliant so the only issue on the first is the 30 round magazine (as far as I can tell at least).

not sure on the second one but the first one looks like a go besides the magazines.

they are selling it as NY compliant so the only issue on the first is the 30 round magazine (as far as I can tell at least).

Oh, didnt see that part. Yep, then just the mags.

Thanks for all the help everyone. Glenn, I love the 74's at center fire, but they won't ship to nj. I think my best choice is a saiga. Anyone know any stores that have some in stock?

Paul at arms and ammo actually had some Saigas.. as to if he still has them not sure.. but he is a really great guy to deal with and maybe if he does not have one he could order it for you.. worse case scenario they were on gun broker all day long.. maybe even pick up a used one.. then just ship it to FFL.. pick it up and modify it however you want..butch's gun world in vineland used to have some as well..

Since this is your first AK, get a Saiga, then mod it to your heart's contents later. Saiga's are very well made. If you can pick up a used one, even better.

At one time, I too considered the Arsenal route, but the prices are much more than what you would spend mod'ing it. Of course, there is the fun factor in mod'ing it. Just watch for compliance for parts counts, etc ...

• Like 1

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=192563120

new one.

http://www.ak47world.com/rifles.html

is a good reseource to decide.

I chose the mak 90 because of the heavier receiver and barrels. The overall quality is better than the wasr's

I looked a sar 1's and they are nice, but not as nice as a mak series ak

Hey Intercooler...thanks for the heads up on the Norinco's on gunbroker. I'm meeting up with someone on Monday to check out their PAP. Hopefully that will work out. If not, I'm either going to go for the Saiga conversion or a Norinco.

Thanks everyone for all of your help on this. Once I decide what to get and it arrives, I'll be sure to post pics!

I'm in the market for an AK now, as I have gone through two PAPs (love them just keep finding good reasons to get rid of them)...

I found a Polish and also Bulgarian on Centerfire systems, I think they'd require gunsmithing to make NJ compliant but that's not a problem I found a guy...

What do you think?

Polish : http://www.centerfiresystems.com/akagun-pol.aspx

I like this one a lot, if it had that bright orange I've come to know and love I would have made the decision, I like that and I'm of Polish descent so that makes me want one a little more.

and I heard Bulgarians are great. http://www.centerfiresystems.com/akagunssr85c-01.aspx

Bulgarian looks great, terrible stock.

WOuld love an Arsenal, expensive though, and am still leaning towards a $350 Saiga and just slowly working on it.

WOuld love an Arsenal, expensive though, and am still leaning towards a $350 Saiga and just slowly working on it.

The arsenal is nothing but a Saiga with a "full" conversion. They do the rear conversion that requires only a dremel and some hand tools, then they change the front blocks and put AK furniture, once again something that requires only a drill and hand tools. They engrave their name on it and jack the price up.

Scrap, I'm at work so I cant see what polish rifle you are speaking about but if its the "1960" milled reciever '47, I have one incoming (should be getting it this week finally) JGsales has em cheaper than centerfire. If you wanna come check it out your more than welcome to

I did the conversion on my Saiga 223. It came out great. It took me about 1 1/2 hours with a drill and a Dremel. It wasn't rocket science, that's for sure. If it wasn't for the pain in the a** bho, it would've been quicker.

I did the conversion on my Saiga 223. It came out great. It took me about 1 1/2 hours with a drill and a Dremel. It wasn't rocket science, that's for sure. If it wasn't for the pain in the a** bho, it would've been quicker.

using dental floss to kind of hold it in place makes it way easier!

did not watch the whole video but pretty sure this explains it