JonF

Trigger slap, which guns have a case of it?

No, i'm not saying for anyone to defeat the safety. I was just pointing out the mechanical relationship that exists in some guns and and how the condition occurs.

Jon,

I knew that wasn't the intent of your post. I was just thinking out loud and wondering if it could be done or if the gun would not mechanically function without that firing pin safety in place.

I think its exacerbated by the serrated trigger, but initially caused by the fact that the trigger bar directly rides the FPB and gets bumped every time the slide cycles which sends the shock down into the trigger itself. My CZ75 has had the FPB removed as part of the competition package so it no longer has any direct connection to the slide itself and consequently, no slap. I noticed a similar reduction with my CZ52 after installing a Harrington improved firing pin which alters the FPB interface to a point where the slap is eliminated. This is another gun with a trigger bar similar to the glock whose trigger rides the FPB while it connects to sear which is why i believe any gun that has this sort of internal mechanical arrangement can be susceptible. I know Series 80 1911's have a FPB, but not sure if they have this issue since the 1911 action is a lot different than the CZ.

Of course DON'T run without what you are calling the FPB. There are lighter "firing pin safety" springs made as well as titanium firing pin safety plungers. Niether of these do I consider significant improvements. An improvement can be found if the firing pin safey plunger is polished and the trigger bar is polished where it contacts the plunger. This will improve trigger pull but I think the action of this plunger on the trigger after it is pulled is BS.

With all due respect to those concerned...

Jon,

I knew that wasn't the intent of your post. I was just thinking out loud and wondering if it could be done or if the gun would not mechanically function without that firing pin safety in place.

Chris- It could be made to function but trigger pull would probably be terrible when the trigger bar passed that empty hole. So then to resolve that some other unsafe modifications would have to be made.

LOL- Peeps should spend more time at the range. Most pistols are better than the shooters right out of the box.

I'm sure everyone has seen competition guns that are so "F'ed" over that they are unreliable or unsafe.