Sign in to follow this  
surfgod247

Best way to start hunting?

What is the best way that I can start hunting with no prior experience? I have always wanted to give it a try but non of my friends hunt and it seems like something that's usually passed down from generations. Is there a class that I can take to kinda show someone very new the basics of it so im not out there making doing something wrong or worst dangerous?

What is the best way that I can start hunting with no prior experience? I have always wanted to give it a try but non of my friends hunt and it seems like something that's usually passed down from generations. Is there a class that I can take to kinda show someone very new the basics of it so im not out there making doing something wrong or worst dangerous?

Have you tagged along with anyone to see if you like it? What are your interests....big game or small game?

Go to this NJDEP website link and it explains the process of how to get a license. The three basic courses are defined. The SHOTGUN course is usually the one most people start out with. All the requirements, etc. are defined on this page, including the self-study guides. Everything is defined on this link on what you need to do to at least become licensed: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/hunted.htm

Have you tagged along with anyone to see if you like it? What are your interests....big game or small game?

Go to this NJDEP website link and it explains the process of how to get a license. The three basic courses are defined. The SHOTGUN course is usually the one most people start out with. All the requirements, etc. are defined on this page, including the self-study guides. Everything is defined on this link on what you need to do to at least become licensed: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/hunted.htm

No I haven't tagged along with anyone. Its just something that I have always been interested in but never knew where to start. Maybe I will get out there and find out that it isn't even for me. After the basic course will I feel confident enough to go out there and give it a shot or is the class just there because of some bs law?

No I haven't tagged along with anyone. Its just something that I have always been interested in but never knew where to start. Maybe I will get out there and find out that it isn't even for me. After the basic course will I feel confident enough to go out there and give it a shot or is the class just there because of some bs law?

If you enjoy the outdoors, some solitude, matching your wits and skills to ethically take large or small game, then hunting may be for you. The three major disciplines with which to take game; shotgun, bow and muzzleloader/rifle are covered in three different courses. The intent is to promote and teach safety. Hunter education in N.J. has been in place at least a half-century, although I'm not sure as to when it actually started. Studies have shown that states that implemented a hunter education program or some type of mentoring program for youth hunters had lower incidents of accidents and fatalities. Keep in mind too that a hunting license, just like a driver's license, is considered a privilege in this state. In most neighboring states to N.J., you can't purchase a hunting license unless you produce a previous license or your Hunter Education Certificate. It's not just New Jersey who has implemented this process.

There are a lot of laws, seasons and exceptions to know and understand when hunting in N.J., so it is good to become acquainted with them. Those who don't have their exploits highlighted on these pages and blogs:

http://www.njcoa.com/highlights/highlights.html

http://njcoa.blogspot.com/

Breaking those laws and statutes come with fines too. This is an older list, I suspect some of these fines may have increased with inflation, as this list is six years old:

http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/mcs/svbs_6-04/pt2_b_1.pdf

Guest megaman

As a hunter I would tell you to go out and start to walk around in the woods, become aware of whats going on, how animals move, where they have little escape routes, etc.

Basically, grab a well sighted in gun, go sit on the edge of treeline on a field where you can hunt, and keep quiet and still. Wait for as long as it takes to see your shot. Some days you go home empty handed, some days you are calling buddies on the way home asking if they want some because you have too much.

If you want to see if you like hunting, take a guided hunt where you are pretty much guaranteed a kill. Then you have to be sure slicing dead animals that ran after you shot them is for you. The hard work begins after you shoot the animal.

For instance, last bear hunt my buddy threw up when we had to break the bears head off to properly skin it.

It can get squeamish, (I have seen guys get sprayed with deer shite because they did not gut anus properly).

Hunters are conservationists as well. Sometimes you pass up an animal because you want it to comeback next year but only bigger.

I love hunting, and really cant think of anything that gives me so much enjoyment and peace, while keeping me aware and alert.

Go try it.