223lover

45 Gurus Help?

While out blasting away with my Springfiled 1911, after I was done, I noticed the threaded end of the 2 piece guide rod very nicely

unscrewed itself, almost to the end. So, what's answer to that problem? Does Springfield make a one piece guide rod? Or an after market

company? Should I use something like Locktight red? You have to take the rod out to clean the gun. Also I'm not feeling to warm and fuzzy

having my go to pistol's parts falling out when the fertilizer hits the ventilator.

And yes, I know, I could go back to my Glock, but I don't have one in .45 :icon_exclaim:

I had the same problem with my Springfield 1911. What I did was buy a full length one from Wilson combat and that solved that problem.

While out blasting away with my Springfiled 1911, after I was done, I noticed the threaded end of the 2 piece guide rod very nicely

unscrewed itself, almost to the end. So, what's answer to that problem? Does Springfield make a one piece guide rod? Or an after market

company? Should I use something like Locktight red? You have to take the rod out to clean the gun. Also I'm not feeling to warm and fuzzy

having my go to pistol's parts falling out when the fertilizer hits the ventilator.

And yes, I know, I could go back to my Glock, but I don't have one in .45 :icon_exclaim:

I had the same problem with my Springfield 1911. What I did was buy a full length one from Wilson combat and that solved that problem.

This would be my solution as well. One piece and be done with it. My Colt and Kimber both have one piece guide rods. No problems.

Thanks men, I didn't think i could use a solid rod. It's a shame really. I love the trigger but now Im leery. I have an old series 70 Colt, but its nickle and the trigger is not as nice as the Sprinfield, but it too always went bang when I pulled the trigger. I may just dump the Springer.Plus the Springer shoots low and with those nice fixed tritium sights there's not much i can do to raise the POA. I know- I know-aim higher.

FLGR's are a solution to a non-existent problem. Go back to a standard GI set-up. The ONLY positive thing that can be said about FLGR's is that they add weight to the muzzle - otherwise they are as useless as....(insert your favorite cliche here).

That is all.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I believe a FLGR does have some benefits. I think that by controlling the spring it smoothes out the recoil cycle a little bit. It also can aid in keeping the weapon in battery in a contact situation such as a weapon retention scuffle. Some put this in the negaitive column though because it also hinders charging your weapon single handedly. All my 1911's have them.

You can use a solid rod and I did not notice any difference with it. The problem you are having with the gun shooting low is the same exact problem I had with my Springfield 1911 Loaded model. I did not have the tritium sights. I had the regular 3 dot. I actually called and complained about this problem. They were very good about it. They sent me a pre-paid label through email with directions on how to send the gun back to them. They tested it. They put a new front sight on the gun. For whatever reason they also put a better stainless steel barrel and stainless steel bushing on it also for me. I got the gun back within 2 weeks. It shoots great now and I cant complain about the customer service there. I would call. They might not admit it but there are several complaints about their 1911's shooting low I saw all over the internet forums. They must know and maybe thats why they were so helpful.

Thanks men, I didn't think i could use a solid rod. It's a shame really. I love the trigger but now Im leery. I have an old series 70 Colt, but its nickle and the trigger is not as nice as the Sprinfield, but it too always went bang when I pulled the trigger. I may just dump the Springer.Plus the Springer shoots low and with those nice fixed tritium sights there's not much i can do to raise the POA. I know- I know-aim higher.

I woud NOT use red death on there!!!

Or even Blue if you need to disassemble on a regular basis - which I assume you will. However, I might try a little purple Loc-tite - which is the least cement-like. It is listed as moderate strength on fine threads - which, to me, means much easier to "break" on coarser threads. I use it on stubborn grip screws that won't stay tight. However, I stand-by my assertion the FLGR's are useless.

Adios,

Pizza Bob