Sign in to follow this  
ADKer

non native NJ resident

Although I became a NJ resident quite a few years ago, I didn't bring my two .22 rifles with me. Now that I've gotten a handgun permit in NJ I'm wondering what to do about my rifles. I don't have any receipts for them and New York doesn't have the ridiculous firearms laws that NJ has; so now what? I'd appreciate any thoughts any of you may have.

Although I became a NJ resident quite a few years ago, I didn't bring my two .22 rifles with me. Now that I've gotten a handgun permit in NJ I'm wondering what to do about my rifles. I don't have any receipts for them and New York doesn't have the ridiculous firearms laws that NJ has; so now what? I'd appreciate any thoughts any of you may have.

I took NY laws to be more restrictive in some cases. If the guns are NJ compliant, bring them over (following appropriate traveling guidelines).

Huge difference between New York City and the rest of the state. Anyone can legally purchase a long gun. Same goes for ammo which is sold in K-Mart and places like that. New York City, Buffalo and maybe a couple of other large cities are somewhat restrictive but for the rest of the state it's much fairer. Of course nothing is quite like NYC but then most upstaters would sell NYC off anyway.

you have your fid just go and pick them up . you will not be breaking any laws . they are your guns and you now have your fid. so you can leagly own them here. Bob

They were legal before he had his purchaser ID assuming the assault laws weren't violated.

You don't need the receipts for the long guns, NJ does NOT register long guns, the authorities wouldn't know what long guns you have or when & where you bought them.

You can bring them to your new home no problem, as long as they are not "assault weapons".

PS. You do NOT need to register any handguns you purchased legally in another state (again as long as they aren't AW's) - one of the few places where NJ laws are better than NY.

Careful with .22lr rifles in NJ. If they are tube fed auot-loaders (i.e. Marlin 60) they may only hold 14 .22lr but because it will also chamber .22 shorts, of which it will hold about 22, believe it or not NJ considers them an "assault weapon"...

New Jersey v. Pelleteri

This is the infamous case where this gem came from:

When dealing with guns, the citizen acts at his peril.
  • Like 1

Careful with .22lr rifles in NJ. If they are tube fed auot-loaders (i.e. Marlin 60) they may only hold 14 .22lr but because it will also chamber .22 shorts, of which it will hold about 22, believe it or not NJ considers them an "assault weapon"...

New Jersey v. Pelleteri

This is the infamous case where this gem came from:

Marlin made it a 14 rd tube and labled it 22lr which is ok. Marlin model 60's with the 17 rd tubes are assault rifles. As are the 99's :icon_rolleyes: dumbass state.