Destinydog

question about the law

can i legally keep a handgun or shotgun at my place of business? I do not own the property but i do rent the store in a small strip mall.

If i can not keep it there can i have it there for a short period of time? for instance if i take it there as i stop by for a few hours prior to heading to the range?

can i legally keep a handgun or shotgun at my place of business? I do not own the property but i do rent the store in a small strip mall.

If i can not keep it there can i have it there for a short period of time? for instance if i take it there as i stop by for a few hours prior to heading to the range?

Do you own the business?

2C:39-6 Exemptions.

e. Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm, or from carrying the same, in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section, from any place of purchase to his residence or place of business, between his dwelling and his place of business, between one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair. For the purposes of this section, a place of business shall be deemed to be a fixed location.

yes, myself and two partners own the business, just not the building.

The answer is yes, you can, but please don't base whether you do or not on what we say on this forum. Speak to an attorney to be absolutely sure. Remember, if you make a mistake and you get caught, it's five mandatory, presumption of seven with no parole for three.

Then we'll have to have a Free Destiydog Rally and petition the Gov. for clemency yada yada yada...B)

As was stated earlier consult a lawyer, but it is well established that the proprietor of a business may keep and carry a firearm in his place of business or on his property in NJ (whether owned or rented is irrelevant). In your case this (carrying) would probably not extend to outside your building since you are in a stripmall and the outside is considered a common area.

Even though the law does not say so specifically it is often NOT considered allowed for employees.

Many gun shops you go to in NJ the owner is usually wearing some type of pistol.

As was stated earlier consult a lawyer, but it is well established that the proprietor of a business may keep and carry a firearm in his place of business or on his property in NJ (whether owned or rented is irrelevant). In your case this (carrying) would probably not extend to outside your building since you are in a stripmall and the outside is considered a common area.

Even though the law does not say so specifically it is often NOT considered allowed for employees.

Many gun shops you go to in NJ the owner is usually wearing some type of pistol.

Several years back when I worked at Shore Shot this came up. I used to work at night and close the place up by myself. I would always wear my Smith and two extra magazines. Since there was some ambiguity as to whether or not we were allowed to do so "legally" as employees we were all going to apply for carry permits figuring on them getting restricted to the premises. When I went to Toms River Mrs. Dennis at the time told me not to waste my time, that the chief would never, ever approve the application. My reply was "well then if I should get held up one night and lose my life I can only pray his men will have to deal with all 2500 guns in that vault on the streets of Toms River..." That didn't go over too well... I continued to carry until I stopped working there in 2001 because there was no way I was handing someone a rental gun and a couple of boxes of ammo to go into the next room to load and shoot yet not have a loaded gun on me just in case they had any bright ideas.