Daedalus

Any GSG 1911 .22 Owners?

The virus to acquire a 1911 in .22 has struck me! A lot of Internet reading, for whatever that is worth, has driven me toward a GSG (German Sport Guns) 1911 in .22LR. The only thing I can find on the web that people have had issues with is the early versions had a bushing made of some non-ferrous alloy.

It seems it is a decent gun for a decent price with the characteristics of a 'real' 1911 and fires inexpensive .22LR.

All that said, I have never actually seen nor touched one! Does anyone here own one? I'd appreciate your feedback and, perhaps, a meet so I can at least see one before buying!

The virus to acquire a 1911 in .22 has struck me! A lot of Internet reading, for whatever that is worth, has driven me toward a GSG (German Sport Guns) 1911 in .22LR. The only thing I can find on the web that people have had issues with is the early versions had a bushing made of some non-ferrous alloy.

It seems it is a decent gun for a decent price with the characteristics of a 'real' 1911 and fires inexpensive .22LR.

All that said, I have never actually seen nor touched one! Does anyone here own one? I'd appreciate your feedback and, perhaps, a meet so I can at least see one before buying!

If you look in the forum there is a few guts that have then do a search of "gsg 1911" I heard good things about them. I went with the cheaper chiappa 1911-22 and at first I was disappointed with it but now I love it. Took some time to break in looks and feels like a 1911 just makes no noise when shot and doesn't move. I would recommend either of the two but I think if I would have done or again I would get the gsg because it has more customizatipn abailable.

Thanks, guys. I considered the Chiappa as well but felt the GSG was a bit better put together.

I also considered buying a sub-caliber conversion for my existing .45 1911s. They cost just about the same as the GSG and are reported to have difficulty with some frames and ammo. It is still on my list though if for no other reason that it won't burn up one of my pistol purchase permits.

Thanks, guys. I considered the Chiappa as well but felt the GSG was a bit better put together.

I also considered buying a sub-caliber conversion for my existing .45 1911s. They cost just about the same as the GSG and are reported to have difficulty with some frames and ammo. It is still on my list though if for no other reason that it won't burn up one of my pistol purchase permits.

Look at Marvel and Tactical Solutions. I had the opportunity to play with both models and can say they are both worth the money. Just remove your existing top end of a 1911 and replace it with the 22 kit. Was able to hit clay birds at 100 yds. They are a bit pricier than other kits, but the quality is top notch.

Marvel http://www.marvelprecision.com/

Tac Sol http://www.tacticalsol.com/

I fired the GSG 1911 before and was really impressed. The gun felt solid and I didn't have any issues in the 40-50 rounds I put through it. I was very fun gun and I am seriously considering getting one.

• Like 1

As usual - I changed course halfway through. I ended up, for now, getting the .22LR Kimber conversion for my Springfield GI 1911. Of course, after the purchase I read a LOT more Internet lore and scared myself silly. Lots of stories of failure to feed, eject, fire, etc. Talk about the need to change out the mainspring and rumors of the necessity to pray to the firearms gods that the kit would fit on my 1911 since many don't. Also, lots of tales of no more than 5 rounds in a row without a failure of some sort. Panic city!

Cleaned the conversion, lubed it, installed on my Springfield and ran the slide about 50 times manually. Well, it felt OK to me, but what do I know?

Took the new Frankenstein gun (is that a KimbField?) to the range this afternoon and ran 100 rounds of CCI Mini-Mags through it. The only issue was a single failure to fire, and the pin mark on the casing was solid. Bad round? Whatever, 99 perfect cycles is A-OK in my book.

Accuracy was fine, although the sights may need a minor adjustment. I forgot my screwdriver so couldn't do it at the range. It shoots better than I do, so I'm good to go. Actually, Stevie Wonder probably shoots better than I do, so no great comparison there. It held tight groups on paper and tagged the steel at 50 feet.

I still would have preferred the GSG 1911 but I have a Dan Wesson 1911 Bobtail CCO already paid for and sitting in the dealer's safe until the paperwork gets through the state cycle. I couldn't see burning another permit for the .22 at this time. Maybe AFTER the .45 1911 is safely at home!

Thanks for all of the input from all on the forum.