Sign in to follow this  
kenw

Interesting perspective on electric cars in NJ

Lynn just sent me a link to this article in The Save Jersey Blog. I'd never heard of the site before, but after browsing it for a few minutes, I have it bookmarked.

Anyway, the article is interesting, and it points at the legislative idiocy surrounding "green initiatives" and the shortsightedness and dangers of blindly trying to legislate for the environment at the expense of common sense.

Sen. Greenstein Pushing Mindless Electric Car Bill

their are many downsides to electric cars.. progress is being made the hybrid is the way to go. once you plug it in it is a step backwards cause now it is on the grid and being powered by fossil fuels..

hybrids are some of the worst cars ever.

This guy pretty much sums it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyaA5I9IvPo

Hybrids are a failed attempt and a huge a distraction for what we should be really doing.

70% of our electrical generation capacity comes from fossil fuels.

The internal combustion engine has an average engine efficiency of around 18%. 80% or so of the heat energy created from the engine is expelled as waste.

Now look to solve those problems and we'll make a real difference. I'm sorry I don't believe the hype that you need a bunch of batteries to make an internal combustion engine more efficient. And we have real solutions today like newer nuclear fuel cycles that produce vastly less radioactive and smaller half-life waste; as well as being non-proliferation capable. (thorium fuel cycle) New plant designs that are fail-safe even if every monkey in the world pushed all the buttons. The safety measures operate on gravity, so unless someone figures out how to change that... we're good.

The majority of the plants we have today are 30 years or older. I'd say that technology has come quite a ways since then.