axeman_g

Appleseed Shoots

Best dates for a NJGF at Appleseed  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which weekend works better for you?

All,

I am a big fan of the Appleseed program and if I did not have a thousand other things going on in my life I would be an Instructor for this organization. I attended an Appleseed shoot last April while in WV. It was one of the top experiences in my life. Why... I got a large amount of info on how to shoot a rifle, safety, our history and current political thinking. I also had the opportunity to shoot a garand out to 300 yards, and a Steyr .50HS at 500. I put over 500rds through a Remington 597 and saw alot of progress in my shooting. I thought I could shoot a rifle before I got there... I was not even close to being a decent shot. Plus I made some good friends there. If you want to see a write up see this thread.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/15243-appleseed-shoot-report/page__p__202125__hl__appleseed__fromsearch__1#entry202125

$70 for the two days... the best money you can spend for your shooting.

I admit I am a total shill for this organization. I want to post here that they are holding 3 classes this spring in NJ. All will be held at the South Jersey Shooting Club in Winslow, NJ. This is about 1 Mile off the AC Expressway at Exit 33.

I think it would be great to get a NJGF group to one of these dates. I would expect all members of the NJ ZED Teams to be in full attendance :icon_twisted:

Upcoming NJ shoots:

March 2011

Winslow, NJ - Mar 5-6

April 2011

Winslow, NJ - Apr 16-17

June 2011

Winslow, NJ - Jun 11-12

I would be interested in attending the April 16-17 shoot. This is a big weekend because it is close to the Apr 9 Anniversary of the Battle of Concord and Lexington which the entire project is based upon.

If anyone else would like to participate... start posting here and then go to Appleseed site and register for the April shoot.

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/search-states.php?filter=NJ&statename=New%20Jersey

To attend you need a rifle... prefer semi-auto of any caliber as specific strings are timed. Reloading lever actions would be hard, bolts with strippers would work. Make sure it is sighted at 25yards. Make sure it is accurate. You can use optics, but that is cheating in my opinion. You will need 500rds, maybe less if your good and qualify quickly.

At the last shoot I used a Rem 597, but found the front sight to not be fine enough for the small gray targets. I was going to use my GSG, but I dont think it will be accurate enough without optics. So I am going to build a Liberty Rifle (Recomended Configuration per Appleseed.org http://appleseedproject.blogspot.com/2008/02/liberty-training-rifle.html) with a twist. I am going to use a Rem 597 again but I acquired some TechSites for it. I like the Rem over a 10/22 personally.

check here for more info on what is recommended.

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/as_prepare.html

Anybody else game. This would also be a great start to the NJGF TOPSHOT.

The wife and I will definitely be hitting one (or more) of these... Went to the last one held at SJSC and it was very valuable and interesting. I only hope that they are able to move the event to one of the front ranges rather than the "action" range. That will probably depend on range conditions though.

Highly recommended!

I was going to do one in PA, but will attend one in NJ with my son. I have to look at the schedule and the family calendar to when we can go. Odds are we will stay on LBI for the event unless there will be a group of people from the forum staying at nearby lodging.

Thanks Axeman for posting this. I have a new AR upper coming in next week and this would be a good way to break it in.

What is the policy on policing of your own brass? If it is a negative, then I will buy some Wolf, if I okay, then I will bring brass.

EDIT - Never mind, optics are fine according to the website.

Question - At CR the closet rifle target station is 50 yards. Appleseed shoots at 25 and suggests zeroing in at 3" high at a 100 yards. What have others done to get their 22's zeroed for the 25 setting. I only attended Day Two when I went and missed out on a lot of the this part.

first you should be able to police your own brass and if I brought a .30cal or 5.56 I would insist on it. I seriously doubt there would be a problem.

Bring what you son is comfortable shooting. There were two people shooting with scopes last event. Nothing is a non starter with these folks. The example I heard was "They did not turn away men at Concord that only had fowlers did they?"

I live about 30 minutes away. You could be in LBI in about 45 min or less by going through Hammonton - Batso - tuckerton. There are also some camping option in the area.

I like your other idea also. See above.

I just plugged for the March date. The April date is Palm Sunday and then Passover begins on Monday which means my wife is going to be insanely busy at the bakery.

All registered and confirmed. Wojo and Son will be there.

Appleseeds are great - I've been to two with my son out in Manheim, PA. My wife wants to attend one, so maybe we'll go to Winslow.

I highly recommend a small caliber rifle, .22lr if you have one. You run through a lot of ammo and it'll save you $$ as well as a sore shoulder! (Imagine doing an Appleseed with a Mosin-Nagant...)

I hope to start the process of being an instructor this year as well.

I'm definitely interested. Just ordered Tech Sights for my 10/22. I live in Northern NJ. I believe this is a 2 day shoot. Wondering if I should rent a hotel room for the evening at some place cheap..... not paying in 3 hour increments cheap, but cheap.

This is great. I've been wanting to attend one of these!!!

I'm definitely interested. Just ordered Tech Sights for my 10/22. I live in Northern NJ. I believe this is a 2 day shoot. Wondering if I should rent a hotel room for the evening at some place cheap..... not paying in 3 hour increments cheap, but cheap.

This is great. I've been wanting to attend one of these!!!

There is a hotel and a couple campsites within a few miles of the range in Winslow.

I have been planning to go for a while but I've been having some health issues. My wife and I have our liberty training rifles ready to go. We were planning on going to the one in Pennsylvania. We are going to try to make the June Appleseed.

All,

I have recruited another few other shooters and they are going to attend the April Shoot, so I have made my decision to attend that shoot also. I know Wojo is going in March. If you list what dates you choose we will set up our line with each other.

This should be a good time.

So, Myself and my friend Jeff and his wife will be attending April 16 and 17. I know of one other person considering that date.

Thanks guys.

I bought a 10/22 Weather Warrior or something, stainless and synthetic this morning and had it at Cherry Ridge this afternoon. With the price of ammo, I figure my and son and I will be using 22LR primarily and then went it counts, I'll switch over to my AR. Plus it was an excuse to buy another rifle.

Post Report - As expected a great time was had. Weather; Saturday was nice and Sunday varied between damp and full blown soaking wet. I laid in a puddle the majority of the day as was soaked to the bone. John Q Public joined the fun on Sunday and can attest to the the conditions. No whiners or complainers which was good. Everyone dealt with the wind and rain and acted as good rifleman should. The youngest shooter was a little girl who turned 10 on Saturday and just was a trooper throughout both days and always has a smile on her face.

My main objective was for my son to have fun and improve his shooting skills which he did. He learned how to deal with mega jams from ammo and a POS Mossberg Plinkster. He dealt with it, never complained about the rifle or the weather. All the way home he kept asking about when we can do the next one.

The instructors from RWVA were excellent as one would expect. Josey Wales - Nick, Viet Vet- Rick and Dakota were from NYC and NY state. All good guys. I can't thank Dakota enough for the attention he gave to my son on Day 2.

A word of advice, if you go as father / child, boy friend and significant other, make sure you are split up. The instructors will take care of your partner. Otherwise, you spend more time leaning over, checking on them, doing things for them, asking how they are doing too much and you miss out. It is mutually benefiting to be separated. It took me until after lunch to 'let go' of my son next to me and on Day 2 they moved him away to another shooter who needed a lot of instruction. Having two novices next to each other really allowed the instructors to do their thing.

Get off the couch and the computer and support this program.

Wojo, that sounds great. I'd love to take my son, but he's too young (9). Hopefully next year. I had originally planned on going in April, but I'm having Lasik surgery right before that weekend. I'll definitely attend in June. Really looking forward to it!

Wojo, I was thinkning about you all Sunday during the harder rain spells. I am glad youall made it through and the weekend was a success.

How many shooters were there? Did any qualify?

8 shooters on the line.

2 Rifelman patches were given out on Sunday.

Hopefully the April event will be better attended, along with better weather conditions...

A couple of pics of the event...

I picked up another Patch and thankfully won a target shoot on Saturday which the winner got a brick of Ely ammo which was used on Sunday for my son's Jam-o-matic.

I spent a lot of time talking to Josey Wales - Nick, seen here. He is responsible for NJ and I am going to try via my lowly committee person with ANJRPC to get a Appleseed event at CR. Because of range demands, this Appleseed will have to be limited to 22LR so we can do it at the Silhouette range in 2012. Nick and I had a lot of discussions and I can see he is going to be part of the NJ/NY activities for some time. Great guy as were all the instructors.

Saturday - the Dry Day

IMG_0469.jpg

Sunday - The Moist One

IMG_0471.jpg

Getting the patch for my 228.

Appleseed3-6-11.jpg

Glad to see your boy with a smile. Sorry it rained.. but you cant predict when the British will arrive can you?

I think the April shoot is going to be well attended. I have four possibly 6 people looking to attend. I hope more come out from NJGF.

Some better pictures of the event. All the pictures that were taken was in between the down pours. You can see the puddles and the streams of water which of course was all tilted back toward the firing line. I had the pleasure of laying in one of the deeper troughs of water.

RWVA - Appleseed After Action Report

I just picked up a 10/22 today so I am ready for Aprils event!

Get the Tech Sights for that 10/22 to really maximize your time there. Just about all the instructors that provided loaner rifles and many of the other participant 10/22's had them on. I just ordered a set from E. Arthur Brown Company , or you can try the OEM, Tech Sights.

+100 to Wojo's advice. Here is a little review I did concerning my rem 597 with Techsites.

It is perfect. I shot 100rds of CCI MiniMags and about 50 Fed Bulk. No FTF or FTEs.

Put a 9" paper plate with a 2" black dot in the middle and a 10m air gun target with 4 3" circles at 25yards.

First shot on the paper plate was to see if I was even close to paper. The shot was 4 inches high and dead center. Cranked the sights down about 32 clicks and bingo. Did not move them again. I wish I had taken a camera. 18 shots in a quarter hole. I then proceeded to just tear the target middles up. When I switched to the Feds there was a noticeable difference in accuracy side to side. They were perfect in elevation, same POI as the MiniMags, but they were left and right spread out to about 2". Curious as to why?

But I had a great time and was able to see the targets real well with the Techsites. My friend was there with his stock 597 and you could really tell the difference. The stock sites with the white dot front is just not fine enough at distance and blurs out with light colored backgrounds. I could not shoot half was well with the stock sights and when my friend tried mine he instanly googled Techsites.