Sign in to follow this  
Pew Pew Plates

My K98 post re-finishing pictures.

First off, thanks to usnmars for giving the method to NJ609, and to NJ609 for coming over my house and helping me do this! I wouldnt have the patience otherwise!

Anyways, usually I am hard set against refinishing a milsurp stock. But this is a Russian capture, which while it has its own place in history, when I got it from AIM it was BLACK with shellac and junk. So I gave it a quick light scotch-brite rub and rubbed in a little boiled linseed oil. It was good enough. I dont like messing around with original finishes but couldnt stand the black!

So at this point, since it was already messed with, NJ609 suggested this method of refinishing and that he would help. I was apprehensive, especially after he mentioned *GASP* sandpaper! I but my tounge and went ahead with it. I really like the outcome, because I dont know if I would go as far as saying refinish. I think its more of a super-deep clean. I couldnt honestly tell you all the steps as far as the sandpaper went because I was cringing and shielding my eyes from it while chris gleefully went to town on my stock lol. But I like!

Its a 1943 DOU. I put the lock screws, sight hood, and cleaning rod back on to restore it to its german appearence and put the stock disk and crossbolt back in the white.

DSC00865.jpg

DSC00866.jpg

DSC00867.jpg