Sign in to follow this  
silverking

Permits and State Attorney General

That the law governing issuances of permits is violation every day is no surprise to anyone living in this state. It is frustrating beyond belief!

It has been suggested to me by folks closer to the permitting issue than I am that I contact the State Attorney Generals Office, lay my situation on them (dates, municipality, etc, and ask them to enforce the law.

Has anyone done this?

There is a thread or two on here regarding a data collection effort by NJ2AS about FPID and P2P forms, and another about timelines. I don't think the 2nd is NJ2AS related, however. I am too lazy to llok them up right now. It would be interesting to see what response you would get from the NJAG office, although it seems like more of a blowoff from whoever told you that. I would think youu'd get a canned response at best about how the law is the the law, its for your own good, blah blah blah. If you really want to light a fire, hire a lawyer to rattle the PD's cage. Several people on here have done that with good results. Again, too lazy to look it up. Good luck!

It has been suggested to me....that I contact the State Attorney Generals Office, lay my situation on them (dates, municipality, etc, and ask them to enforce the law.

I'd suggest against this, given the anti-gun attitude of AG Paula Dow. Depending on what your issue is, it may be more beneficial to contact the NJSP Firearms Unit - especially if your local PD is using them as a scapegoat for the delay.

The data collection effort currently underway is to address the "added form and content" prohibition in the statutes and the confidentiality issue of the background investigations, covered in the AC. These may not be the only issues addressed, but, for now, they are the main ones and we'll see where that leads. The philosophy here is that before we can propose sweeping changes, we would like the powers that be to adhere to existing law.

I don't speak for the NJ2AS, but we're pursuing similar goals by different methods and we share information.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I will take under consideration the recommendation that I contact the NJSP Firearms Unit.

Permits in my community are issued by my Local PD. They are pleasant, friendly and professional. I do not believe they have any agenda but get the feeling that issuing these permits is low priority. It appears that the Local PD use the NJSP only for the background check, but, they never say who does what and when in the process. Sort of like the military! When questioned about processing time the answers are similar to: Lots of requests and they are really backed up now! There have been layoffs and they are backed up! And so on!

They do require several forms in addition to those referenced by the law. The additional information seems more redundant than intrusive. I waited 12 weeks for my last two permits. Interestingly, I used the same references on both of those and the references were not contacted in either instance.