Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

Les Baer, anyone?

I've known Les since the mid-80's. Before there was a company bearing his name. We shot IPSC with the same club. There was the son of a quite well known gunsmith who also shot with the same club, so when it came down to having a gun built you had one or the other build it. If you wanted a gun that probably had to go back to the builder two or three times, until it ran right, you had the other guy build it. If you wanted a gun that ran 100% from day one and gave you terrific accuracy, you let Les build it. He highly modified a 1911A1 of mine and it was terrific (unfortunately it was stolen in 1987). I had replaced it with a Combat Elite (series 80) and Les installed low-mount Bomars and and a Videcki trigger and did a trigger job - probably the best trigger I've ever felt in a series 80 gun.

I doubt that Les personally lays his hands on many of the guns produced at his company, but he certainly oversees the quality and won't turn something loose with his name on it, that isn't right. Great guns, great guy to do business with, and just an all-around nice guy.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

One of my friends has Baer Premier 2 with the1.5 inch guarantee. He purchased it in 2003. It is a fantastic firearm. They really can't be compared to the S&W, Kimber, and the others you mentioned. There are few guns that you can compare it to. The gun was (still is) super tight, and the fit and finish is superb. After he purchased it we started shooting USPSA, and that was the gun he used for a while. However he felt he was "beating it" by using it in matches. So he got something else and now it sits in his safe. Gun can be finicky if dirty and dry, but other than that he has had no issues with it. Shot jacketed, plated and lead SWC through the gun with no issues. Gun shoots darts in the right hands. Can't go wrong by buying a Baer. Shop around he got it for a nice price.

I'm assuming if you plan to buy new you need to purchase sight-unseen since no dealer has them in stock?

It looks exactly what they look like on his website.

Basically a 1911. A really good 1911.

I guess I meant not so much unseen but unable to hold it in your hand. At Classic Pistol, they have Dan Wessons that come from the factory with the slide locked back with a zip tie so you can't rack it.

Very true comment. you get alot for your money w/ a Les Baer. I dont think they are as refined aesthetically as some of the other semi-custom houses mentioned but they are shooters. I have one of the Premier II models w/ the 1.5" guarantee. One extremely accurate gun with an occasional jam if not kept clean. Mine has less then 500 rounds through it so I think its b/c its not broken in yet. The slide/frame fit is notoriously tight from the factory. Every time I go through the list of my semi-custom 1911's, the Les Baer is one of the few that has not been traded or sold. I cant say that for my Wilsons, Nighthawks, or Ed Browns.

From what I understand Les Baer's are quite cheap compared to other semi-custom guns(Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Nighthawk), but reliably match them in their quality.

Looking at the Baer site it appears that the prices have gone up a bit. However even at their retail price, you are getting a lot of gun. Shop around you might get lucky and find one for a decent price.

I know the Bulletaholes had a Baer with a red dot on it for sale in the counter.

Very true comment. you get alot for your money w/ a Les Baer. I dont think they are as refined aesthetically as some of the other semi-custom houses mentioned but they are shooters. I have one of the Premier II models w/ the 1.5" guarantee. One extremely accurate gun with an occasional jam if not kept clean. Mine has less then 500 rounds through it so I think its b/c its not broken in yet. The slide/frame fit is notoriously tight from the factory. Every time I go through the list of my semi-custom 1911's, the Les Baer is one of the few that has not been traded or sold. I cant say that for my Wilsons, Nighthawks, or Ed Browns.

We shot a case of ammo through the Baer when our mutual friend picked it up And it still ate 3 bushing wrenches trying to tear it down!

Oh yeah...they do. That thing has been sitting there for at least two years. Its shiny, a 1911, and has a dot on it so it always draws my attention. I believe the seller is asking a ridiculous sum for that piece. Dont remember the exact number but when I ask the counter person I always walk away giggling. Think its close to the 3K range.

Baer did go up in price but deals can be found on safe queens once in awhile. I think their price increase was partly just to keep up with the competition. I remember when you could buy a Nighthawk Talon for $1700 and now you can't touch that same gun for less then $2500. Wilson and Brown have followed that pattern too.

Looking at the Baer site it appears that the prices have gone up a bit. However even at their retail price, you are getting a lot of gun. Shop around you might get lucky and find one for a decent price.

I know the Bulletaholes had a Baer with a red dot on it for sale in the counter.

Oh yeah...they do. That thing has been sitting there for at least two years. Its shiny, a 1911, and has a dot on it so it always draws my attention. I believe the seller is asking a ridiculous sum for that piece. Dont remember the exact number but when I ask the counter person I always walk away giggling. Think its close to the 3K range.

Baer did go up in price but deals can be found on safe queens once in awhile. I think their price increase was partly just to keep up with the competition. I remember when you could buy a Nighthawk Talon for $1700 and now you can't touch that same gun for less then $2500. Wilson and Brown have followed that pattern too.

Longer than that actually. I recall seeing it there while I was at my last job and that was over 5 years ago.

Someone needs to make them an offer they can't refuse.

New Baers seem to have gone up about $450 since T. bought his.

You figure if its been there for 5 years then BHole would tell the owner to lower the price or get it out of there. Why would you want an item on your store shelf thats just wasting space? It does look "nice" but lets face it, the market for single stack 1911's in 45acp w/ a comp and red dot are pretty slim pickings. And for 3K you could make much better choices.

Longer than that actually. I recall seeing it there while I was at my last job and that was over 5 years ago.

Someone needs to make them an offer they can't refuse.

New Baers seem to have gone up about $450 since T. bought his.