Sign in to follow this  
njluger

K-Frame Sights on a 1911?

So being at the range several times now with my most recent acquisition, S&W M28-2, I'm simply in love with the sights. I know some people think that the S&W revolver adjustable sights are "fragile" and don't give the best sight picture, but I disagree and actually really like them. I like them so much that I've been thinking if it'd be possible to get these sights put on my 1911.

Doing some searching online, I came across some of the history of the great 1911 gunsmith, Armand Swenson. Mr. Swenson was one of the fathers of the modern bullseye shooting semi-auto, taking standard GI-spec 1911's and doing some major accuracy modification work to that platform. One of his improvements to the platform, was replacing the stock GI sights with adjustable sights off of a S&W K-Frame revolver. Looking around, there seems to be one modern gunsmith, John Harrison, that does this same type of work. Here's an example of his work:

12.JPG

More pics + a really nice write up is here: http://www.coolgunsite.com/comm_pistols/custom/swenson/swenson.htm

Looking at his website (http://www.harrisoncustom.com) he quotes $200 for welding up the old dovetail, machining the slide and installing a k-frame sight. Seems like a lot of $$, but I understand that there is a considerable amount of work that needs to be done to get this working and looking good. I'd also have to see if he can fill in the Novak dovetail on my SW1911.

Any thoughts on going down this route? I'm open to alternatives to the k-frame sights too - as long as I can get a serrated black rear and serrated black front!

Kings Gun Works, Armand Swenson and a N.J. pistolsmith named Austin Behlert popularized and installed S&W adj. sights on many custom builds years ago. Interesting to see it being done still. If you do some Google searches on those names you'll see some of their work.

Back in the day, this modification was done because there wasn't much else offered for that application and it was a real step-up from the miniscule GI sights.

These days there is a plethora of excellent adjustable sights made specifically for 1911 applications. Also a number of excellent fixed sights that also give you a much better sight picture than stock sights or S&W sights. Unless you are specifically building a "retro" gun, I'd advise that you see what else is out there and act accordingly - you'll get better sights for less money.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Back in the day, this modification was done because there wasn't much else offered for that application and it was a real step-up from the miniscule GI sights.

Bo-Mar adj. sights were available at the time, and were considered the route to go for sturdiness and a quality sight picture before dots, bars and luminescent sights came into vogue. (I believe it was Bo-Mar who trademarked the Serrated Blade.) The Bo-Mar was just a bit obtrusive on some slides unless the slide (Colt) was milled a bit to accept a lower profile but on some slides they just didn't work because of their size. The S&W adj. unit was a bit less obtrusive. Yes, the S&W adj. sights can be improved upon today, but they were pretty good in their day.